• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Feeler... Bay Area Members get together...??

02for2

Hey all,

I am going to be flying into SFO next Wed. the 16th with a buddy to pick up his new E28 535is - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1596842

Bob has never been west of the Mississippi and so is looking on the trip as a grand adventure. Originally, we were going to drive out in his Audi A6 Quattro and bring both cars home, but Bob decided that if we flew, we'd have a day or so to explore the Bay area and get a drive on PCH 1 - long a dream of his.

I have been to SF many times as a company I headed had two faciillities in the Bay area - Vacaville and Hayward. I frequently flew into SFO or SAC. But, it's been 10 years, and I'm sure much has changed.

I am wondering if any of you would be willing to get together with a couple old car guys and BMW enthusiasts? Or, absent this, have some suggestions of fun things to do and see?

We haven't firmed up much except the airfare at this point, and I don't think Bob has yet made arrangements for the transfer with the current owner (in San Ramon). Plus, we'll need to be mindful of the weather window for the route home. But I expect we'll spend at least Wed. aft./eve and much of Thu. in the Bay area. Then we'll likely head out I-80, over the Donner Pass and spend a night in Reno before heading back to MSP early Friday morning, hoping to arrive early Sun. the 20th.

Shout back with any ideas and let's see what we can do.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

If you find yourselves south in the Monterey/Carmel/Big Sur area feel free to give me a shout, you can check out some of our current projects at the clubhouse. The coastline in these parts is breath taking and the twisties are never ending. (watch out for Winnebegos and oblivious minivans paying more attention to the view than the road!) One of my favorite stopping points is the Rocky Point restaurant for coffee and scenery. (the foods good but tourist pricey) Also, our shop is fully equiped so if you get into trouble and need something don't hesitate to call.

http://www.rocky-point.com/

Have a good trip...

-shad

Shad

'70 2002 #671 "Bimmerschmitt"

'70 2002 BADUDA aka 'Wall Art'

'72 2002 #672 Sold

'73 2002 Sold

'79 528i Daily Driver (future ETC Clone)

It's a two hour drive south on 280/101 to monterey, 3 hours if you take the coastal route Hwy 1 and don't stop too much. Big Sur is another 30 minutes south along Hwy 1 from here (and well worth the drive). Not sure if that's too far for you on this trip, but the offer stands if you like.

-shad

Shad

'70 2002 #671 "Bimmerschmitt"

'70 2002 BADUDA aka 'Wall Art'

'72 2002 #672 Sold

'73 2002 Sold

'79 528i Daily Driver (future ETC Clone)

If you can make the time the Monterey/Carmel/Big Sur Area. I grew up around there, and still make it back every year or so to visit the in-laws in Salinas, where I keep a '70 Spitfire.

I wish I could make your get-to-gether!

------------------------------

1974 BMW 2002 - Elise

1970 Spitfire - Pearl

I always recommend the San Francisco Barbary Coast walking tour. It is an urban hike, not a stroll. If you take the hills at speed you will break a sweat, no matter the weather. It's great to see parts of the city that are just around the corner from the hoards of tourists. Friends and FAQers that have done it have really liked it.

If you don't have time to drive the whole coast, pick a section at least. North over the GG bridge, NIKE site at the headlands, Mt Tam, Muir woods- all good sites. Or South from the city, down to Santa Cruz Boardwalk, Monterey, and at least down to the Bridge at Bixby Creek. There's a pretty good Cuban restaurant in San Jose that is frequented by FAQers.

Watch your weather on 80 East for chains or closures. If threatening, buy your chains in Sacramento $, not up on the hill $$$. Stop in at Truckee and take the side road to Tahoe City/North Lake Tahoe. Steamers Pizza is good at Kings Beach. If the weather cooperates, you can go over Mt Rose and drop into Reno.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

have some suggestions of fun things to do and see?

how about Momos or Gordon Birsch then Mitchell Bros? I mean Mitchell's Ice Cream.

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

We're actually planning on spending Wed. nite in Santa Cruz, and then heading down Monterey way Thurs. morning, taking the coast highway all the way to Morro Bay.

The plan is to head east out of Morro Bay, drive through Yellowstone and into NV, getting into Reno later that night. All weather permitting of course.

If you wanna email me with contact info, maybe we can get together Wed, evening.

All this is predicated on minimizing our time on the ground in the Bay Area. The owner needs to pick us up at the airport and we'll take him back to San Ramon before heading toward Santa Cruz, but he's now talking about scheduling conflicts (never said a word until after the airfare was purchased), but we expect to bring him around.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

Guest Anonymous

how about Momos or Gordon Birsch then Mitchell Bros? I mean Mitchell's Ice Cream.

every one of your posts necessarily contains some direct political or religious reference. reagan, lincoln, the holy father. are you related to michelle maulkin? :)

, drive through Yellowstone and into NV, getting into Reno later that night. All weather permitting of course.

Cheers!

I am sure you meant Yosemite.....not Yellowstone. Both have trees and bears.

Morro Bay, that is almost Santa Barbara (2 hrs). Rob Torres' shop is in San Luis Obispo if there are any mechanical needs while in that area.

You have to stop and check out the elephant seals near Hearst Castle on Hwy 1. http://www.elephantseal.org/

bandb-3644.jpg

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours