• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to remove kidney and grilles?

QuickSilver

I remove 4 screws on each grille but they won't budge, seems to have some tabs tucked under the kidney but can't figure out how to remove that.

Looking To Buy A Roundie Near SoCal

Adolf - 1993 BMW 325i - Daily

Titus - 2010 Cannondale CAAD8 S6 - My Green Contribution

Vittoria - 1999 Ducati 900 SuperSports - When Time Is Of The Essence

Removing kidney: I recall that this has something to do with waking up in a hotel bathtub, surrounded by ice, with a note taped to my forehead and a poorly stitched wound in my side. The details are a bit foggy.

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

Removing kidney: I recall that this has something to do with waking up in a hotel bathtub, surrounded by ice, with a note taped to my forehead and a poorly stitched wound in my side. The details are a bit foggy.

Don't knock the stitch work, at least you're still here with us.

Looking To Buy A Roundie Near SoCal

Adolf - 1993 BMW 325i - Daily

Titus - 2010 Cannondale CAAD8 S6 - My Green Contribution

Vittoria - 1999 Ducati 900 SuperSports - When Time Is Of The Essence

On a more serious note, there's a hook/screw that attaches to the outside portion of each grill. See item 11 in the diagram below.

http://www.bmwmobiletradition-online.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2215&mospid=47140&btnr=51_3331&hg=51&fg=20

Once you get those hooks loose, the grills may slide out from behind the kidney, or may not, depending on how well secured they are. The kidney is secured by nuts at top and bottom. There are bolts extending from the kidney through the front clip. Reaching these nuts requires some extensive yoga training if the grills are still in place.

This project is much simpler if you already have the radiator removed.

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

I've learned when removing the nuts on the back side of the kidney grill to stuff a shop rag down below, 'cause it's easy to drop the nut (if they're original they have the self washer attached) and they disappear into an un-retreavable area behind the front valance. That way it saves my swear words for the next job.

Bob Napier

Removing the kidney grill is really fun if you have A/C!

On my Touring, the top nut just spins so the "stud" attached to the centre grill is loose. Haven't been able to remove this for years.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

• 9 years later...
On 1/14/2011 at 2:49 PM, williamggruff said:

On a more serious note, there's a hook/screw that attaches to the outside portion of each grill. See item 11 in the diagram below.

http://www.bmwmobiletradition-online.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2215&mospid=47140&btnr=51_3331&hg=51&fg=20

Once you get those hooks loose, the grills may slide out from behind the kidney, or may not, depending on how well secured they are. The kidney is secured by nuts at top and bottom. There are bolts extending from the kidney through the front clip. Reaching these nuts requires some extensive yoga training if the grills are still in place.

This project is much simpler if you already have the radiator removed.

So, I've got the rad, condenser, and fan removed - full access to the two nuts - but the nuts AND the threaded shaft (the screw?!) just keep spinning together ? What is going on here!? Is there something between the kidneys and the nut/washer that I need to stabilize? I can't feel anything when I stick my pinky finger in there!

This is a common malady to which I know no obvious cure. I’m guessing the bolts/studs are pressed into the kidney grill, and they’re spinning due to corrosion between the nut and stud threads. It sounds like you need to find a way to hold the stud in place while you spin the nut, or vice versa. Neither sounds like a simple course of action.

williamggruff