• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does 4.11 LSD Diff exist?

smhheidari

The factory did make a 40% limited slip 4.11:1 short neck differential for the 1602 the part number was 33101204093. I have never actually seen one but I am sure there must be one out there somewhere.

By the time you find one and get the owner to part with it $$$$$ I am sure you could find a 4.11:1 and put a Quaife in it or swap the Crown wheel and pinion from the 4.11:1 into a E21 3.9:1 LSD diff. The side bearing housings are 6 bolt instead of the earlier 4 bolt designs and the output shafts are different too)

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Is there any 4.11 LSD differentials? (i mean existence) :))

Funny you should ask. I have a differential-building contact that build custom units. He was telling me recently that one can machine a 2002 diff case to fit small-case E36 LSD spools (from the 4 cylinder E36 cars). Additionally, the ring and pinion gears are apparently interchangeable with little or no modification from the 2002s all the way up through the E36 small-cases. That means that you could, in theory, have an LSD with 3.45:1, 3.64:1, 3.91:1, 4.10:1, 4.45:1 or any other that I'm forgetting.

Incidentally, I just sold a 4.10:1 longneck LSD made by the same guy to a guy in PA with a ti/SA. I ran that thing in my 1600 for a short time and it was a monster.

If you're willing to spend the money, LSDs are a lot of fun!

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

From what I understand, the 4.11 LSD from the e30 318is has the same innerds as the o2 e21 diff.

John

I've looked at a few, John - the ring and pinion are the same, but the lsd clutch pack is larger (wider). Hence it's not a direct swap, but with the right combination of housings, machining, side covers and the tools needed to properly shim the finished unit, it can be done. (I plan on offering some soon...)

-KB