• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Parts at Autohausaz vs Bavauto

ROBONE20

In my experience Bavauto doesn't always disclose the brand of the parts they're selling. I've found autohaus AZ to be upfront, clear, inexpensive and efficient. I buy whatever I can from autohaus and get the remainder elsewhere. Meyle has been good in my experience. I think it's important to know where top notch quality yeilds the best value - like in guibos. I wouldn't put a URO guibo on my car but I won't hesitate to buy other URO parts, you know?

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i

I have had a number of Uro parts that were horrible at best. The last thing I received that was made by them was an ignition switch for my Healey, and it was bad right out of the bag. The moving parts of the tumbler were floating around in the bag.

68 2002 #1660013 Lucky # 13
75 2002 M20 swap

I've had excellent experiences with AutohausAZ. I don't know about other parts of the country but here in Arizona nearly all the Independent BMW repair shops source many of their parts from AutohausAZ.

I've checked on a number of parts over the years and the items I've gotten from AutohausAZ are from the exact same mfg. as the same part from the dealer. For example, suspension parts from Meyle and Ruville are the same mfg. you'd get from the dealer. It's possible they have not gone through BMW's inspection process (I don't know that BMW AG inspects every replacement part, or just spot checks shipments).

Some of the routine maintenance items and elec. parts are of a lesser quality than I prefer to use, but if you compare with other suppliers you will find which items you feel safe about using from AutohausAZ.

Bob Napier

I agree w/all that is said about bavauto. had pretty much the same experience.

then i switched to autohausaz. good stuff, good people, never had a problem.

Blut is where it's at now.

1. better price

2. quality parts (you KNOW exactly what he's going to get for you).

3. you are helping out a fellow 02'er.

4. he is a straight shooter and tried and true.

seriously. you can't go wrong.

Dave

Pittsburgh, PA

67.5 Datsun Roadster

72 2002 Colorado

89 325ix

99 318ti

04 x5 3.0

AutohausAZ has always been good to me. Plus, with free shipping over $50 it's a good deal. BavAuto sent me Korean and Mexican front bearings and Autohaus sent me German ones. But overall, I have few complaints with either vendor. I do agree with the comment above that you know exactly what you are getting from Autohaus. Sometimes with BavAuto you don't know. But you can always call them and ask. They are good to deal with on the phone.

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

Blunt was great to work with. I asked what I needed and he gave me great recommendations, even telling me that I didn't need to order everything!

Before I dealt with him I had inquired with both but can't compare to Blunt. I've also ordered from Pelican and they were good also. Got my parts within two days and all good stuff.

1972 '02 work in progress

I believe the above post is refering to: BLUNT (not Blut).

You can contact him here:

Steve@BluntTech.com

Good guy, good service (when not totally frozen in :-)

Bob Napier

someone's been drinking a little too much early morning egg nogg. ;)

LOL i'm a moron.

thanks Bob!!

David

Pittsburgh, PA

67.5 Datsun Roadster

72 2002 Colorado

89 325ix

99 318ti

04 x5 3.0

For different brands made in mexico, germany and where ever, there are always ways around that which I have seen done by many major parts manufacturers.

What you end up with might be the result of availability for a particular part rather than the intent of giving the customer a 'perceived' cheaper product. The parts for these cars are slowly dwindling in some cases (tii water pumps, brake calipers, brake shoes, etc.), and we have to adjust for that.

The point is that the parts system is a bit more dynamic than you would think, and that being said, Blunt seems to be a pretty good guy.

AZ does try to tell you which vendor the parts are from which is good. BavAuto and the like do not break it down that far. You may get the exact same item, or it may be different, or it may be better. It just depends upon what they recieve from their distributor.

As for the 'name brands', I have heard of the other brands failing, and I have heard of major brands failing. One thing to remember is that many of these 'off brands' were OEM suppliers to BMW. The part was stamped with the BMW logo and not their own. I think over the past several years, I have never installed the same brand of water pump (or whatever) twice.

I have had good luck with Meyle parts, however, I have heard of complaints years ago.

If you are a little unsure, then I would definately go with one of our 02 vendors that know their stuff. 2002Haus, Blunt, JF, etc... You may save a few dollars somewhere else, but their experience and advice more than makes up for it.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Thanks for the replies guys. I ordered a few parts already from AutohausAZ, but I'll give Blunt a shot. I went to his website, but didn't notice any parts that I needed. Is it probably something that I'll need to ask him for and he'd get it for me? Thanks again..

I have had great luck with Bavauto. They are close by, I drive down and they hand me the parts. Many times they take me out back to roam the aisles while they pick the parts. They have a huge inventory - great guys and very knowledgeable. I have also dealt with Blunt/Steve - very nice easy transaction.

Jeff

Believe it or not I've been having excellent results with the local BMW dealer. I live 40 minutes from BAVAuto and they were my preferred supplier until this year. My E39 DD needed a washer pump. I called BAV yesterday morning, they were backordered ($43.95), and I wanted a pair of corn kernal stops for my '02 (2 @$1.95 from BAV). Not having a washer pump is not an option this time of year in NH.

I called IRA BMW in Stratham. They had the pump in stock. They ordered the corn stops from the BMW NA warehouse, had them marked for overnight delivery. (They get daily deliveries from the WH). They threw in a pump grommet ($2.95) as well. My cost out the door with my BMWCCA membership was $40 even. I got home and in the mail I had a holiday card with a coupon for $75 off my next purchase of $150 or more.

When I rebuilt the front end in my E39 DD, I needed a steering knuckle casting. All online sources, including BAV were $260 plus, and it would take a week. I called IRA and they got me one next day for $189 with club discount.

I've bought a lot from Blunt for my '02. Excellent results from him as well. If I plan what I'm doing, I'll use Blunt. If I forget something or need it overnight, I use IRA.

2000 BMW 528i M-Sport -DD

1976 BMW 2002 - Fjord Blue - current project