• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bad day turns to good

Cameron

I noticed yesterday that my clutch pedal was getting softer, and went ahead and ordered up a clutch slave and master since I noticed the slave was starting to leak. So I got into my car this morning to take her to work, and fired her up. The clutch pedal dropped right to the floor when I pushed it in and sighed to myself. I got out, hopped in my other car and went on my way to work.

I got off a little early, so I grabbed my multimeter, timing light, vacuum gauge and a couple wrenches. I figured even if I can't drive it, I can still tinker with it. I took a look at my brake fluid resevoir and noticed it was just below the hose going to the clutch master. Topped it off, bled it out and got my clutch back, for now atleast. I checked my timing, and hooked up my vacuum gauge and adjusted the weber. My original 40 year old engine still pulls 20 inches of vacuum with a steady needle. I had a little bit of a surge right around 2500-3000rpm and decided since I have some seafoam laying around, it won't hurt to give the car an italian tuneup. I misted the carb with a half a bottle and let her sit about 10 minutes. I fired it up and took off down the street like a bat out of hell. After one trip around the block, the smoke cleared and the powerband smoothed out. Stopped back at my house, grabbed a bottle of DOT4 and a wrench and went hotrodding around town.

What started out as a bad day, turned great... this car never fails to amaze me, or put an ear to ear grin on my face.

1971 BMW 2002

38/38 DGAS

292 cam

TEP 4-1 header

Ansa Sport muffler

Bilstein Sports

H/R Sports

Full Urethane

Bavaria Control Arms/02 Tension Rods

IE adjustable sways

15x7 König Rewind

Just to play devil's advocate on myself, there is a cheaper, just as effective alternative to seafoam and it even makes the same smoke show - mist water into the carb. Ever pulled the head on an engine with a blown headgasket leaking coolant into a cylinder? The water mixed into the combustion steam cleans the combustion chambers and cleans alot of carbon out. I actually just had a couple cans sitting on the shelf and said, hey, why not?

Anyway, not to make an additive thread... it was just an expression of my enjoyment. And the audi I drove to work today? I put it up on my rack and found my left front CV boot ripped, and the joint dry. I guess that explains the vibration in the front end... ordering an axle tomorrow and parking it till next week - I guess that's the perfect excuse to drive the 02, and the girlfriend can't say a word about it.

1971 BMW 2002

38/38 DGAS

292 cam

TEP 4-1 header

Ansa Sport muffler

Bilstein Sports

H/R Sports

Full Urethane

IE adjustable sways

15x7 König Rewind

good catch inspecting and finding the

torn axle boot.

.... more - Just to play devil's advocate

your leaking clutch hydraulics will fail completly when

you don't have your "walking-10-miles-from-home-shoes-on"

keep that cell phone charged up,

Do You Feel Lucky ?

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Your lowered brake fluid in the reservoir is the result of a leak somewhere--either in the clutch system (you already reported a leaky slave cylinder) or the brakes somewhere. As CD said, it's gonna strand you one of these days. If the clutch slave is going bad, the M/C isn't far behind unless it's considerably newer. The new, tighter component will always stress the older one with higher pressure, and will eventually make it fail.

As for water...my late father-in-law, "back in the day" would perform a quick "tuneup" by running a warm engine at fast idle speed--1500 or so rpm--and slowly pouring a glass of water down the carb throat. If the engine starts to stall, raise the rpm/quit pouring. You'll be surprised as to how much carbon/black smoke will come out the tail pipe. This works particularly well on an old engine that is using oil. BTW, don't try it on a tii!

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I don't know if it's still available, but GM used to sell a product called "Top Engine Cleaner. You pour 1/2 a can down the carb slowly and then you quickly pour in the remainder to stall the engine. Next, you let it sit for 15 minutes or so. When you fire it up you won't believe the amount of gunk that will come out the tail pipe. If you go this route, I'd strongly suggest that you do it immediately before a tune up and oil change- sometimes the loosened up carbon will foul one or more plugs.

Bailey Taylor

1975 2002A

1995 318ti Club Sport

2004 X3 2.5

1999 Wrangler Sahara

2007 Mazdaspeed3

1996 Triumph Speed Triple

I ordered the new clutch master and slave yesterday, it will be here monday. Just a temporary fix until I can put the new parts in. 02 is back to daily duty until I fix the audi wednesday night.

Next week for the after I put in the new axle, oil change and put in a new thermostat (has been stuck open for two years, thermostat has been sitting in my toolbox for one year), and the week after I'm aligning it. That should be all she needs for to get me up to oregon to spend the first week of the new year there.

1971 BMW 2002

38/38 DGAS

292 cam

TEP 4-1 header

Ansa Sport muffler

Bilstein Sports

H/R Sports

Full Urethane

IE adjustable sways

15x7 König Rewind

You need to be careful with the Italian tune up, if you pour, mist too much Seafome, water, or fluid de jour into the engine you stand the chance to hydraulic lock the engine and bend a connecting rod. less is better

Also change the engine oil after this procedure, since some of the fluid will get past the Rings and mix with the engine oil.