• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coolant Loss- no dripping and white/bluish smoke!

adrianolsen

...this > " 2. the smoke that I'm talking about

(more white than blue) only occurs when I'm

driving at high speeds - say 55mpr and above

- and it only happens when i've let off the gas

to break or slow down and then put my foot

back on the gas to accelerate - as soon as i

put my foot back on the gas, that's when

the smoke comes out of the exhaust (a

considerable amount - an

embarrassing amount) " > is classic

valve guide/seals needing replacing - nothing to do

with adding coolent to the car

by the way if your over filling the coolent while

cold - it will beltch out the excess amount then

causing the level to be too low.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

1. A (semi) surefire test for water (coolant) in the exhaust: with the engine fully warmed up and running (tailpipe hot to the touch), place a piece of kleenex over the tailpipe and hold it in place for 10-15 sec. If there's excessive moisture in the exhaust, it'll disintegrate the kleenex and it'll be wet to the touch.

Hey Mike, I just tried this with my car (kind of). It didn't really smoke this time when I started it. After driving it a couple miles home, I still couldn't get the tailpipe that hot (only warm). I also couldn't find any kleenex, so I used some toilet paper (the 7th generation hippie type). I didn't really see any moisture to any appreciable amount.

I'm really hoping that that I just had a crapload of condensation this morning, due to it getting really cold the last couple of nights, and my engine is very well ventilated to the atmosphere. I might go ahead and re-torque my headbolts for the heck of it. That fixed a headgasket problem that I had a long time ago...

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

You said you notice the whitish smoke only at higher speeds when you back off the gas...have you checked your brake fluid level recently? When you back off the gas at high speed, you create a lot of vacuum. If your master cylinder is leaking into your brake booster, it'll pull brake fluid into the intake manifold and on into the cylinders to be burned with the fuel. The classic symptoms are whiteish smoke (not vapor) that doesn't smell like burned oil.

Doesn't happen very often, but at least check your brake fluid reservoir...

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

You said you notice the whitish smoke only at higher speeds when you back off the gas...have you checked your brake fluid level recently? When you back off the gas at high speed, you create a lot of vacuum. If your master cylinder is leaking into your brake booster, it'll pull brake fluid into the intake manifold and on into the cylinders to be burned with the fuel. The classic symptoms are whiteish smoke (not vapor) that doesn't smell like burned oil.

Doesn't happen very often, but at least check your brake fluid reservoir...

cheers

mike

Good one...happened to my Saab Turbo that I used to have...CRAZY white smoke....ran just fine...scary and embarrassing...lol..

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com