Roll Bar

doug73cs

I'm considering having a 4 point roll bar installed and am looking for advice. This is not for racing - just a little added rollover protection.

The main hoop would a removable diagonal and have two legs running back to the top of the wheel arches where they meet the rear bulkhead. Rear seat to be deleted and the main hoop tilted back far enough so no head banging possible. The base of the roll bar would be boxed and the wheel arch would have a additional plate. Other than "why bother?" - any advice?

Any examples you care to share of a 4 pt installation would be interesting/helpful.

Doug

I had a bolt-in four-point (removable cross bar) in my '73tii that I reinforced by welding a plate at the base tied into the inner rocker and on the wheel arch also tied in to the side (see image below). I was glad to have it when I had an "incident" at the Glen, though I originally installed it for autocross use. My only comment is that any seat/mount combination, particularly a stock seat, can break. So if you have a stock seat, roll bar, and no helmet, it is always possible to whack the bar with your head in a bad accident, and foam padding won't help all that much. If you put in the bar I suggest also installing fixed seats on a very secure base, along with seat back braces. I assume you will be running six point harnesses. I welded some tabs to my bar so I could install the stock belts for street (DOT legal) while also having the six-points. Now I run a full cage, but not on the street!

Best, Fred '74tii

post-3726-1366763388967_thumb.jpg

post-16466-13667633890605_thumb.jpg

I'll answer b/c I've got the same seats in my car. Yes, Recaro sports from an e30 cabrio, "is," etc.

Darren, I'd like to see some rollbar padding on those bars! Note that these seats can be pretty weak and break if you get rear- ended hard. Again, the padding is a must.

Your car looks great, BTW.

mike

P.S. I think Ian is going to sell bars and cages soon (or already does)

I'll answer b/c I've got the same seats in my car. Yes, Recaro sports from an e30 cabrio, "is," etc.

iS seats are not the same as cabrio seats. The direction of the stiches is different (top to bottom vs left to right). The cabrio seats are like te e30 M3 seats.

Darren, I'd like to see some rollbar padding on those bars! Note that these seats can be pretty weak and break if you get rear- ended hard. Again, the padding is a must.

Your car looks great, BTW.

mike

P.S. I think Ian is going to sell bars and cages soon (or already does)

agree...need padding! the hard SFI certified stuff, not the soft "pool noodle" style.

Cool car. Sorry, Greg. I took a guess about the correct name. Interested how you mounted your seats. I mounted the seat base to the stock sliders. Hold on, this is a rollbar thread....

Yep, Lee, my car's confused b/c I have an e30 M3 rear seat (horizontal stitching) and iS front seats with vertical stictches.