• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

knowledge on PITT RUST!

JeremyJames

Well, i started stripping my 76 and (of course) found some pretty bad pitt rust. I was wondering if anyone knew of a great way to clean it up.

-I tried grinding it down but its a wee bit too deep to get all of it.

Someone recommended "Naval Jelly" has anyone used that and does it work?

I might just need to search and search for some new panels?

thanks guys.

Jeremy.

1971 BMW 2002

grit blaster that works on compressed air--It will clean an area about the size of a quarter using carborundum grit. It's designed so that you press a rubber lip against the metal to be cleaned and press the trigger. The grit is captured by a cloth bag and cycles back into the blaster.

Perfect for small pitted areas. I think mine came from either Eastwood or Truman many years ago, but I'll bet Harbor Freight sells one.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I second the blasting approach. I use a small siphon blaster from Eastwood with a fine ground glass grit. It takes care of the issue. The grit will clean out the rust as deep as it goes. Just be prepared for it to turn into a perforation, which might require some patch welding.

Never let school get in the way of your education!

SiteNamecopy.jpg

A solution in this case is epoxy primer. Get the rust as gone as possible, and use a rust converter on anything that remains. Prep the white metal and either 1) hit it with etching primer first then epoxy primer, or 2) use a DTM (direct to metal) epoxy primer. The epoxy forms an impervious barrier to future corrosion as long at there is no leak path under it or to the bare metal area. There were areas on my car (engine bay and core support) that had pitting and I did just this.

1972 BMW 2002 Colorado #2577807<p>

2015 BMW M5 Competition 6-speed

2003 Audi TT Coupe 225

I have the Eastwood siphon blaster as I mentioned earlier. It was only $20 with 3 tips. Seems to be made very well and doesn't require a huge CFM rate. Tractor & Supply has one for $10. My surface rust wasn't very deep, but it would have required quite a bit of work without the blaster. I covered the new metal with a product called All Metal, which I was very pleased with. This was followed with a glazing putty, epoxy primer and paint. Hope to see your results!

Never let school get in the way of your education!

SiteNamecopy.jpg