• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

True Test.... Santa Barbara -> Vancouver BC

SantaBarbara02

Yes I'm driving up the coast of California, Oregon & Washington not in my newer SAAB (bashfully) but in my 1972 bmw. This will be a true test of my newly acquired mechanic skills more than a test of the fortitude/reliability of the car. Here is my itinerary from September 23rd - October 4th

September 23rd - Santa Barbara to San Francisco via 101 & 25

September 24th - San Fran to Cresent City to Portland via 101, 199 & 5

September 25th - Portland

September 26th - Seattle

September 27th & 28th - Vancouver BC

September 29th - Seattle

September 30th - Portland

October 1st - Crater Lake

October 2nd - Crater Lake to Napa to San Fran via 5

October 3rd - San Fran to Santa Barbara

If anyone would like to meet up along the way or even offer an emergency number just in case I missed a bolt somewhere I'd truly appreciate it. THANKS!

David

1972 Malaga 2002

We could all do a meet in Seattle on the 26th if any one was interested and you could join us. But I'm in the Seattle area with a fair amount of parts and plenty of tools and willing to help out! I would love to meet up with ya too.

Nathan

206 450 five 265

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

The San Fernando Valley to Poulsbo, WA and back. First time not a problem, the second time I blew the water pump at 2am in Eugene, OR on the way back. Slept in the dealer parking lot only to find they didn't have one, but the parts guy called Small World Imports, who had one, and then he drew directions for me to find it. Back on the road by noon. The third time at about 1am going north on 101 just before Eureka, I hit the brakes as I approached the town and blew the metal brake line on the right front. The bolt holding it to the strut had vibrated loose, and the vibration cracked the brake line. I decided I didn't want to be stuck there, so I drove from Eureka to Portland with no brakes, including over the mountains. I went to the local junkyard in Portland and got another line for two bucks first thing in the morning. Another time going just to Portland I fueled in Grants Pass, got back on the road for about 15 minutes when the speedo started jumping around and then noticed a cloud of smoke coming off the rear of the '02. I pulled over and saw a puddle of tranny oil, limped to the next exit, jacked the '02 up and put stands under it (be prepared with a little floor jack and stands). I found that the previous and only owner from new (a close friend), had taken the car to his local BMW mechanic for a clutch, and the jerk stripped the speedo cable bolt hole. I had gear oil, piles of bolts, and some teflon tape. None of the bolts would fit the thread, but I had an undersized one and wrapped it in the teflon tape and pounded it in. Bingo, perfect fix and it's still that way to this day without a leak.

All that crap I take on trips with me in the '02 trunk paid off multiple times.

If you have a problem near Grants Pass let me know as my bro lives there these days. Don't forget your Friends of BMW CCA book.

Oh yeah, another time on a Portland trip I thought my battery OD'd so I got one at Fred Meyer. Everything was fine and I drove it straight through back to L.A., but when I was going down the grade into San Luis Obispo doing 90, my car had a one revolution hickup. I pulled into a gas station in SLO, tanked, and then found the '02 battery dead as a doornail. I had to get the battery charged by the station and made it back to L.A. to find the little brown ground wire from the alternator to the block had vibrated loose, and there was a little oil on it so the charging system was dead even though it looked connected.

Be prepared for anything.

Best of luck!! Nothing like a REAL road trip to really get to know your car and your skill level as a mechanic. Full marks for bravery, done a few of these myself including a coast to coast trip in a Healey and over to the UK with it. I am 17 minutes over the US/ Canadian border and available if you need anything. email me for phone number : mhall@dccnet.com

75 2002a, 72 3.0CSA, 54 AH 100-4, 61 Bugeye, 64 AH 3000, 67 Airstream Overlander

Wow!

Im envious.

I've always wanted to drive down from San Jose to L.A in my car. The people that know my car know that its a 50/50 chance I make it without any problems.

It would just be fun to see what would happen. Too bad I don't have enough mechanical knowledge yet to do it.

After my m20 (winter break) I hope to finally go to L.A. Hopefully some 2002 friends will tag along.

I really envy your long trip.

Goodluck.

M20 Turbo 2002- Sold

1970 2002- Sold

1972 2002 Tii. - Sold

S50 e30- DD

Hey, if your in Portland on the 25th, you should come to our NW BMW Motorfest show. The show starts at 4:00pm. There is a drive that starts at Noon ending at the show. We have tons of raffle items and have three categories of awards. As of now, I don't have any classics registered. Regardless, it'll be fun. We have a band and food and we've closed off two streets for the event.

Would be great to see you. If not, if your in Portland and need help give me a shout.

Squatch Pads

Lorena Texas

• 2 weeks later...

I saw him when he was in Seattle on Sunday. Cool guy and a hoot to talk to!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2