• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where to mount windshield washer bottle and pump?

EcoAuto

My recently purchased '75 2002 had the windshield washer pump and bottle removed by a prior owner. I found the assembly in a spare parts box that came with the car, repaired a small leak in the bottle, cleaned and lubed the pump, and hooked it up to a battery to confirm it works and pumps water.

Now I'm trying to figure out exactly how and where the pump bracket mounts to the engine compartment. I've looked at photos of the assembly in place, but the view of the mounting holes is obscured. I can't find two holes in the engine bay that align with the two holes in the pump bracket. (See attached photos) Is my car missing another bracket? I've attached a photo of my passenger side front engine bay where the washer bottle/pump should mount. Anyone have a photo of how it's supposed to look? Also, what size screw is used to bolt the washer pump bracket to the car? - Ron Gompertz in Bozeman Montana

post-18606-13667630499211_thumb.jpg

post-18606-13667630501052_thumb.jpg

Ron Gompertz

Bozeman, MT
74 BMW 2002tii
Fjord # 037 / blue interior

Thanks guys,

Yes, my car was manufactured in Nov '74 and delivered to the dealer in Feb '75. The Kugelfisher FI was later installed by the owner and the MDD ignition installed at some point after that... thus the coil in the wrong location.

Looks like I'm missing the bracket shown in Jason's photo. This explains the mystery... not many 02's around here to compare with.

So if mine is a '75, I should be able to bolt the bracket on?

Thanks guys. What a great forum!

Ron Gompertz

Bozeman, MT
74 BMW 2002tii

The other point of confusion is that it sounds like you're trying to hang it with the pump's bracket. The whole unit actually hangs from the squared off section of the water bottle, and the pump just hangs from the bottle. Yeah, that doesn't work too well, and it ends up breaking the plastic bottle at the seams. That's why the old VDO bottles are getting harder to find...

Anyways, Brian is right, 1974 and earlier cars have a bracket on the passenger side welded on there. On the 1975 and 76 cars its a 2nd bracket on the brake booster, like Jason shows. They moved it because it got in the way of the crazy emissions equipment on the passegner side in the later 75 and 76 cars. I've still got the passenger side bracket on my '74, but I'd rather have it over the brake booster for a cleaner look, so I grabbed one of the later brackets from a junk '76....

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Aha moment. That's what's causing the confusion. Photo of my brake booster area attached. I can see why the washer bottle and pump was removed from the brake booster when they modified the air filter. The shock tower brace may also be in the way.

Is there any good reason why I can't spot weld a bracket and mount the pump bottle bracket where it was on pre '75 02s?

post-461-13667630508671_thumb.jpg

Ron Gompertz

Bozeman, MT
74 BMW 2002tii

BMW sells a new replacement washer bottle PN# 61-66-1-350-871 for $40.50 at dealers.

2002AD sells original round ones for $100. They also sell square ones for $50.

http://2002ad.com/storeworks/view_item.cfm?id=1655

My round bottle also has a big melt indent and a missing mushroom thingie where the pump attaches. A lot of original bottles must have fallen on hot engines.

Ron Gompertz

Bozeman, MT
74 BMW 2002tii

This one was actually bolted next to the radiator, left side. Fully functional, with the radiator overflow tube stuck into it..?!?!

No joke.

Recycling! Gotta save the environment. Green energy = green coolant for windshield washer fluid.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

take some thin adhesive-backed foam weatherstripping and stick it on the groove in the bottle mount that engages the bottle itself. It'll mostly prevent the bottle from rubbing against its mounting bracket and eventually cracking.

It also helps to fill the bottle less than half full--not only less weight on the bottle's mounting ears, but less pressure on the pump when not in use. That'll keep washer fluid from eventually seeping into the pump motor and rusting it.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite