• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel consumption is WAY up...ideas?

jrhone

I was getting about 20-25 mpg and suddenly I am getting more like 10-15 mpg. Nothing has changed about the car. I suppose I need to have it tuned, it has not been tuned for about 18 months since this motor was installed. The car runs GREAT...tons of power, and torque...no smoke. It could be running very rich maybe? I am planning on going DCOE 40s in the near future, so I am not too interested in redialing in the carb..its a Weber 38/38. It was purchased new when I did the motor install. Ideas? Hoping its a common issue with an easy fix. If not I'll wait til I tune the DCOEs.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

Not basing it on odometer readings...thats broken....I am basing it on how frequently I have to fill up under my normal driving scenarios. Also on a long trip...I can gauge how often I need to fill up by the distance I have traveled. In driving from the Bay Area to my place, I usually need a tank and a half of gas...last week I needed more like 2 and a half tanks. So an extra tank for a 500 mile trip. With a 12 gallon tank it normally puts me at 27 MPG normally. 16 MPG on the last trip. To me thats a significant drop.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon

Wow. How do the plugs and tailpipe look? Is your new chrome bumper turning black?

Turn the rig around and run some high speed video. ;-)

GL,

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Actually...YES I do have some black buildup on the rear! Just swapped plugs...and I have not checked the new ones...but I was just noticing today the dark area below the bumper....I made a mental not the wash that area better next time I washed the car...but is that indicative of running rich?

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon

Yeah, carbon/soot is absolutely an indication of rich running. Did u change the plugs before this problem occurred? What plugs are u running?

Cheers,

Ray

Ray

Gotcha...yes it was like this before...but probably not as bad....I am running NGK BP6ES plugs....like I said...just put them in 2 weeks ago.

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon

Yep, that you said... but you didn't say whether the problem surfaced before or after the plug change.

;-)

Cheers,

Ray

...I am running NGK BP6ES plugs....like I said...just put them in 2 weeks ago.

Ray

something may have changed with the float level?,

or a jet is coming loose down inside the float bowl?

dirt blocking air correction jet?

if you can't sort out 38/38 'tuning' problems then

prepare yerself for sleepless nites and

more high gas consumption with

ill 'tuned' DCOE's

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Throw in some BP5ES and gap to .024". Also when you pull the plug see which if any are fouled. You might have just been running too hot of a spark plug, forcing the engine burn more fuel.

Might just be an easy fix.

The BP5ES would take it even hotter. The BP6ES is the middle of the range, while the BP5ES is hotter, and the BP7ES is colder. I run BP6ES in my 02, and BP7ES in my air-cooled Yamaha.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Hello John,

First.... Love your car and the images you've been posting.

Now, are you basing this after your trip up Hwy 1??? I windy road with down shifts and acceleration will kill your gas mileage.

Also, are you planning on leaving California (land of tree huggers and flower sniffers)???? Your 76 will never pass smog now.... With the DCOE's forget about it.....

Cheers,

Patman

PS: I'll be down on HB and NB this weekend so I'll be looking for your car on the road.

74 2002tii known as "The Pickle"

Hello John,

First.... Love your car and the images you've been posting.

Now, are you basing this after your trip up Hwy 1??? I windy road with down shifts and acceleration will kill your gas mileage.

Also, are you planning on leaving California (land of tree huggers and flower sniffers)???? Your 76 will never pass smog now.... With the DCOE's forget about it.....

Cheers,

Patman

PS: I'll be down on HB and NB this weekend so I'll be looking for your car on the road.

Hey Pat! Well my car wont pass smog now...lol...don't worry it wont need to...no I am basing it on my way BACK down the 5 which was all highway, flat and straight and at 75 mph. I noticed it on the way up but thought maybe it was my spirited driving...but thats not it.

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon

Have you checked your fuel return lines? The return line to the tank can leak. I just replaced one (well, supervised the new owner) on my old 76 last Sunday.

Just a thought. Good luck!

Patman

74 2002tii known as "The Pickle"

Plug changes are not likely to cause the kind of fuel mileage change you describe and the soot at the tailpipe. Seems like the most likely cause (if this is indeed carb related) would be excessive fuel getting in the system. Think defective or clogged needle valve, or excessive fuel pressure (not sure how that would happen [clogged return valve might do it...]).

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga