• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

engine's rpm fluctuate while idle

crybert

i am currently working on getting my dad's 1972 2002 tii that has been sitting in the drive way for 8-9 years i am trying to get it running again becuase if i do then i can have it. i am wondering why my engine will fluctuate between 2000-3000 rpm while the car is idle. i am a noob to cars entirely, and i just want to know what might cuase this to happen.

why was it parked for so long - not running? driving problems?

was this a problem before it was 'stored' ?

my initial reaction is for you to do a oil/filter change

get the old gas out of the tank/refill with new Hi-Test

check coolent level

start it and double/triple inspect for any gas hose or

coolent hose leaks/cracks/brittle clamp connection

THEN DRIVE THE BEECH!

drive it 200 miles non stop

report back

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Guest Anonymous

try backing off the idle screw to get it idling at 800 rpms - if it won't run at a low idle, then you may need more extensive analysis to figure out why. Someone may have jacked the idle up high like that to overcome whatever problem was preventing a normal idle. If it will idle at 800, then drive it and tune it until it smooths out.

Can you manually pull the accelerator rods up and make the idle speed go down? If so, you may just need to lube all the joints between the gas pedal and the carb.

the reason it was sitting for so long is that my dad procrastinates ALOT and he never got around to keeping the car in driving condition. but i am getting my licensce soon and i thought working on the car would be a good experiience.

i did do a oil/filter change and removed the old gas from the gas tank, and checked the coolant leve. but i did not check the gas hose for leaks etc. i will do that when i get home. thanks

the only problem i have are that the electrical is totally screwed up. my turn signals dont work, my speedometer does not have a correct reading, and a some moderate work here and there, besides all of that my dad said everything else was up to par.

...still important to inspect how the gas pedal works

is it smooth?, sticking?, hard to depress?

this could cause the irratic idle speeds

and KILL YOU when you drive the car if the

throttle linkage jams WIDE OPEN!!!

with someone helping you - have them work the gas pedal

while you oil all the pedal linkage points under the car

where it comes out of the pedal box, up on the fire wall, and the rods on the motor. oil all the moving joints

Should have return springs under the car at the pedal box, and on the fire wall

WELCOME TO THE CLUB

read all you can, hopefully you get your hands on

a repair manual and Owner's handbook

02tiifuelcontrollinkagesetup.jpg

2002tiiinjectionpartspart2.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Guest Anonymous

I thought about checking that as I typed my message, and then took the lazy way out. Sorry.

Nevertheless, as CD's diagrams show, there are many points in the linkage that could be sticking, and the same logic about reducing the idle speed applies.

We will look forward to your next post, after you do some more investigative work.

First thing to do there on a car that's been sitting that long is to clean--or even replace all the fuses, and clean all the brass spring clips that hold the fuses. Lots of intermittent electrical problems can be solved with clean fuses and connections.

Once you've done that, report what still isn't working and we'll try to long distance diagnose.

cheers

mike

PS--how do you know the speedo isn't working if the car hasn't been driven?

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite