• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weight difference of early and late 02???

I am aware that the later 02's are heavier than the early cars. I know that the bumpers and and the mounting points on the chassis added a bunch of weight as well as the door beams. Where is the difference and how much weight does it eqaute too??

Thanks!

Chico

[/img]

This how Haynes automotive repair manual list them

2500/1600 2010 lb

1502/1602 2072 lb

2002 2072 lb

2000 Touring 2271 lb

2002 Tii 2183 lb

It’s not broken down by year but like today as the years pass the car get heavier… Like you said, bumpers, mounts, AC, seats style, wheels/tires and other bits add up…

the orange world edition Owner's Manual for my '74 says 2183 empty for the 2002. the white US supplement doesn't have a weight listing

Bob

BMWCCA #4844 (#297 of The 308)

1974 2002 Sahara, MM 2400 Rally engine, MM 5 speed and conversion

1976 2002A Anthracite parts car

1991 525i AlpinweiB II

2002 330ci AlpinweiB III

2007 530xiT Titanium Silver

I think I read somewhere that the body construction of later 02's was different and made it heavier

holy negative camber batman!!!

02 Golf Yellow cruising the border of NSW/VIC!

tii pistons, 293, double valve springs, 40mm DCOE's, sump baffle, sway bars, lowered, 5spd, big brakes, 3pc wheels, bucket seats. Approx 150+hp

....... also add weight for Sun Roof

..........." " Air Conditioning

........ " " Eission Control Devices

.........." " 5-speed transmission

............." " Automatic Transmission

............ " " fatter rims & tyres

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

....... also add weight for

that cheeseburger, french fry eating, couch potato behind the wheel.

i suppose that about sums me up. i've come to the conclusion that the most cost effective way to shed weight from an 02 is to diet and exercise.....

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

When weighed on electric scales at each corner my ' 75 automatic, with A/C, no spare tire, and 2 gal. +/- of gas, weighed 2378#. I do not know the added weight of the auto over the manual or what the A/C adds, but both add some.

Bob Napier

i suppose that about sums me up. i've come to the conclusion that the most cost effective way to shed weight from an 02 is to diet and exercise.....

I think that is also why F1 drivers are starting to look like horse racing jockeys.

Bob Napier

75 5spd, no spare, no a/c, half tank fuel and no driver weighs;

DSCN3623.jpg

you can take off the bumpers (120lbs), but doubt you can easily take out the reinforcement and extra metal in the rear quarters. for racing...always start with the lightest shell and work down from there...

2xM3

Jerry,

I love the humorous reply. Funny thing is that my seats made me realize what a tub i have become over the past 3 year. I am working on taking 60lbs of weight savings from my gut.

75 5spd, no spare, no a/c, half tank fuel and no driver weighs;

DSCN3623.jpg

you can take off the bumpers (120lbs), but doubt you can easily take out the reinforcement and extra metal in the rear quarters. for racing...always start with the lightest shell and work down from there...

Thanks mlytle!

Your response was dead on. The motor is going to be pulled in order to remove the reinforcments for the front bumpers, but I think I could live with the extra weight for the extra sheetmetal on the quarters. A good size section has already been removed to make way for lower suspension and fiberglass turbo flares. I will continue the updates on the project blog.

I think I read somewhere that the body construction of later 02's was different and made it heavier

Having cut up both early and late (1974) shells,

the difference IS mostly add- ons. THere is additional structure

in the trunk- both the floor and the glued- in panels, but it's probably

not 30 lbs worth.

In front, there are adds for the big bumpers, but again, maybe #20 at most.

As far as I remember- and I dismembered it into little chunks-

there was hardly anything else that changed, at least that would add weight.

That was a few years back.

fwiw.

t

ps we race roundies because vintage groups in the us don't typically allow

squares. SOVREN locally doesn't even want to see a 12- fuse roundie...

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Mine weighted at the emissions station says 912kg or 2010,6 lbs. Early car with 4 gallons of gas, 4 spd., no stereo, no AC, stock wheels and without me inside.

Cool 2k lbs. thats pretty light. Thanks for the info.

Its seems that there is still some weight to be found in the later cars It kinda makes me think that some havier guage sheet metal was used.

between yours and mlytle's cars there is a 300 lb difference. 120 lbs bumpers and attachments, 25lbs emisions, 20lbs door reinforcements, 45 lbs in bumper reinforcements

All these extras add up to 210 lbs give or take not including the extra sheetmetal in the rear quarters. I think this is close enough since mine will not be a race car but will see track days.

Thanks