• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Re: Replacing ignition lock/cylinder, doors as well

chazeo

OK, I'll start with the story. My ignition is very difficult to get to turn. Sometimes it tkaes me successive attempts to turn, even after jiggling wheel and key to make sure wheel lock isn;t engaged. I need to have this replaced.

I just got a used ignition assembly. My question is as follows:

Q: Would a locksmith or a mechanic be the person to go about this? Obviously I would prefer and hope that I can only replace the cylinder, not the whole ignition (I know that would likely be a job for a mechanic).

Could you all share your experiences relating to a repair like this.

Thanks in advance for your help! You guys have been awesome at providing information :)

Chaz

----------------

New 1st time owner of 1976 BMW 2002

Thanks-about to do the same thing on mine, plus changing both door handle locks as I got a complete set. Are door handles and locks just as easy?>

Anyone have pics of the pin location that needs drilling on ignition or is it evident once inside? Thanks

Ceylon-squarie

Thanks-about to do the same thing on mine, plus changing both door handle locks as I got a complete set. Are door handles and locks just as easy?>

Anyone have pics of the pin location that needs drilling on ignition or is it evident once inside? Thanks

once the door panel is off, door handles are a cinch

you'll need to remove the top and bottom trim pieces behind the steering wheel...the lower piece is what has the hole in it for you ignition...the pin is...iirc at about the 4-5 o'clock position...if i'm wrong, you won't miss it...it'll be in your face when you're down there looking up at the ignition

make careful sketches (or snap pix) of how everything fits together. There are several wrong ways that look right until you try 'em, but only one right way that will work. And since the handles are handed (left and right) you can't use the left one as a guide for reassembling the right one.

I did a column a few years ago on how to remove and repair a bad ignition lock and how to R&R the door lock cylinders; drop me an e-mail after V@V and I'll send you a copy.

Cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

...and once the handles are off, take them to a decent locksmith.

They can re- key them to work with your new ignition key.

The squad up the street did mine for less than $100, and

they work really well. Apparently the VW wafers work in the

BMW cylinders.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Here's a great site that provides good examples of how to do the doors. I've rekeyed a number of these using the "trim down" method, and it works well and is easy to do.

http://www.zeebuck.com/bimmers/tech/doorlocks/doorlocks.html

Dave

Dave in Baltim02e Maryland USA
1969 2002 Sahara  Manila  :)

1966 WM300 Dodge Power Wagon-Valley Green; 1972 Airstream Overlander; 1997 JDM Honda Prelude; 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 tow vehicle to tow home all the above junk!

• 1 year later...