• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Do I Remove Wiper Arms?

peterschop
Go to solution Solved by peterschop,

I need to remove my wiper arms from the spline but do not see how they come off. The Haynes manual states "the small spring retainer which locks it to the spindle is first pulled aside with a small screwdriver". How do I do this? It is hard to get a screwdriver in there and how would I pull it with a screwdriver?

P.S...I tried the search but could not get it to work.

Peter Schoppelry

'74 2002A

I do the following:

1. Lift up the wiper blade arm away from glass

2. Use a small screwdriver to lift the spring clip, while I keep pulling upwards with the wiper blade arm

3. Use a large blade screwdriver on the other side to lever the wiperblade hub off the spindle

Byas

I had good luck with a pair of small curved needle nose pliers (made for electronics)

simular:

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-3-4-quarter-inch-bent-needle-nose-pliers-40698.html

I put them against the windshield gasket (it's old and I don't care about it, you might want something soft in there).  One of the tips of the pliers will push on the clip, and the other will put equal pressure on the other side.  The arms came off with less force with this method than prying from only one side with a large-ish screw drivers as the arm is being pushed strait up with no binding (I think).

your results may vary, good luck.  Once you have one off it will make more sense.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got my wiper arms off. I ended up using a door panel clip remover. It looks like a large screw driver except the end is wider and curves up. I put a small piece of wood next to the wiper to cushion the body and just pried the arm off with a little force. No need to release the spring clip.

Don't feel bad, this is one procedure that I always seem to struggle with on any car!  I think the problem is there are so many styles of clips and blade/wiper arm holders, plus you basically need to envision the parts from the opposite side looking upside down...everything is backwards!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

As John mentioned ^^, there are different styles.

My 69 wiper assembly has the "release the clip and pull" type on the driver's side and a combination clip/pin type on the pass. side.

Driver's side

IMG_7525.jpg

Passenger side

IMG_7527.jpg

IMG_7526.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• 1 year later...

I've taken off my Wiper Blade Arm, and the round Gear that fits on the spindle in this picture seems to be stripped on the inside of this outer-gear that fits on the spindle.

-Does this gear come off the Spindle, and if so how?

Also is there a place to order a replacement piece?

I need to know soon as I live in a rainy area and cannot drive without this wiper blade functioning.

Thanks,

-Carter

P.S. it's a 1975 BMW 2002

post-47402-0-47854800-1423274926_thumb.j

\O==00==O/

1975 BMW 2002