• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do I remove the driveshaft at the CSB?

pmg
Go to solution Solved by bento,

How does one go about removing the front portion of the driveshaft? I've successfully disconnected the giubo end, but I can't for the life of me loosen the 18mm bolt inside the u-joint near the center support bearing.

Any tricks? I've tried pb blaster, a blow torch, and good measure of swear words but nothing seems to be working.

NE10tX8.jpg

• Solution

Looks like its still on the car. You probably won't be able to get the leverage you need laying on your back under the car.

A really big pipe wrench to hold the drive shaft, a 3' pipe on your combination wrench (I cut the open end off one so I could slide a section of 3/4" water pipe over it), lots of swearing, and perhaps a helper is all it takes.

The penetrating oil and heat may help too. I left it soaking in penetrating oil overnight.

Looks like you marked the driveshaft already, so I assume you've read some of the threads/ articles on this topic already.

EDIT: Clarified which wrench the pipe goes on.

Edited by bento

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

or take apart the u-joint (when was it replaced last?) and get an impact on it.

I understand this to be a non-trivial thing to do. Much easier to modify a wrench to fit in there. Of course, if the u-joint is bad then that's a different story, but probably not DIY for most of us.

Brent

Thanks for the help guys. I was able to get this off with an overnight soak and following parts of bento's suggestion.

I actually slipped two wrenches inside the u-joint, one on the 18mm bolt with the pipe for leverage and another tiny one twisting the joint in the opposite direction. 

Next time I'll remove the complete shaft before separating it at the middle with a pipe wrench.

Thanks for the help guys. I was able to get this off with an overnight soak and following parts of bento's suggestion.

I actually slipped two wrenches inside the u-joint, one on the 18mm bolt with the pipe for leverage and another tiny one twisting the joint in the opposite direction. 

Next time I'll remove the complete shaft before separating it at the middle with a pipe wrench.

Nice work. I take it you left the driveshaft under the car? I'm impressed you got it apart. It took all my strength and the cheater bar to get it apart. Are you working on a lift or jack stands?

Brent