• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

faster turn signal...?

lilcphoto

I recently bled my brakes and that has been the only thing I have done around the relay area... and now, my turn signals have been sped up.

I do know that when a bulb is out in some cars the turn signal will flash faster, this alerting the operator of a blown out bulb, but all of mine are in good working order.

What could I have done that would speed up the system like that? It seems to be similarly sped up with the hazards as well.

Daily '74 BMW 2002 w/ Dual 40's

Signature

Visit my Wheelwell to see what I've done to the car

IT BLINKS FAST for both left and right ?

inspect all 4 signal light bulbs

all bulbs need to be same type ie

silver tip, copper tip, same brand of bulb

replace all 4 and clean the sockets even though

they 'work' at the moment ????

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

That's cause because some they don't have the same resistance value due to the things mentioned above by c.d.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

Yes both left and right, and I just went through the entire system not a few months ago. Cleaned and resprayed the rear housing chrome, cleaned up the fronts to good as new. Replaced all the bulbs at that time.

The turn signals have been working normally since I've had the car. The dash light has not been so lucky (which I have tried to remedy through suggestions on the FAQ, to no luck). It's odd that they would speed up, for no reason other then a faulty relay or something, but I did not know if anybody else has run into this same situation.

I will definitely recheck all of the wires and bulbs. I did also install a third brake light, but that doesn't connect to the turn signals. Would that draw enough power through the light system to trigger a fault?

Signature

That's cause because some they don't have the same resistance value due to the things mentioned above by c.d.

But why would they all of a sudden start flashing faster. What triggered the change?

Signature

But why would they all of a sudden start flashing faster. What triggered the change?

Maybe there was a bad contact and one of them is dirty? Cars often screw up stuff by themselves which is unrelated with any current problem. Been there quite often.

Start by cleaning them up and checking to see if they are the same or alternatively just replace all of them with bulbs w/ same watts and same manufacturer.

Also check the sockets and bases.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

As long as they all work, why replace anything? Just get used to the faster sound.

It seemed today that it was sped up even more. I am the type of person that would like to know how things work and what could cause such an issue. Yes, they do work just fine and getting use to the quicker speed isn't as much of an issue as figuring out what went wrong and why.

Signature

• 1 month later...

So nobody has had this problem before?

Every time I get into the car (which isn't a daily driver now) the turn signal is nearly twice as fast (sometimes three times as fast) when blinking. both lights are blinking fine and there are no issues with hazards or either side. Every once in awhile (usually at a stop) it will slow down to normal speed or even slower, and then back up to double when I start to move.

My first thought would be the relay, but I've never come across one that speeds up rather than just shuts off when going out.

Signature

• 2 months later...

So it this point, the turn signals are flashing so fast that it's constantly on. Has nobody had this issue before? Would replacing the turn signal relay fix this issue?

I am not opposed to an aftermarket fix considering the relay alone is $100+ does anybody have a suggestion?

Signature

Do your hazard lights flash at the same rate as your blinkers? Try them both with the engine on and with the engine off and key out. I vaguely recall that the flasher unit is involved with the blinkers and changing the flasher can solve blinker problems. There are (at least) two different kinds of flasher units, so be sure to get the right one.

So it this point, the turn signals are flashing so fast that it's constantly on. Has nobody had this issue before? Would replacing the turn signal relay fix this issue?I am not opposed to an aftermarket fix considering the relay alone is $100+ does anybody have a suggestion?

Find a used relay for $10 - $20. See if it solves the problem!

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)