• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mounting an E28 Steering Wheel

02for2

Got an nos M-Technik E28 steering wheel for Christmas from my wife. Great wheel w/ 3 spokes and 3 horn buttons, course splines.

The problem was that BMW switched the horn contact arrangement between the '02 and the E28. The 'carbon pin' is mounted on the steering wheel and the contact ring on the column for the '02, but for the E28, the contact ring is on the wheel and the carbon pin on the column. Add to this the contact ring on the '02 is 50mm in diameter while that on the E28 wheel is 60mm. One final twist: the E28 wheel is about 9/16" more proud of the column surround than the '02.

How to make the horn work and still retain stock operation and appearance?

Well, because of the distance issue and the differing diameters of the contact rings, one simply could not just drill the column surround and add a carbon pin.

So, fiddling with the problem in my head, I decided the best arrangement would be to add a spacer block to the front of the '02 horn contact ring piece and drill that to accept the carbon pin, aligned so that it would make contact with the contact ring on the wheel.

I took an old nylon coil spring spacer I had lying around (as it had the proper dimension) and using a hobby saw files and sandpaper fashioned it into the block I'd need - so this project is 'Green' having fashioned the block I needed from recycled material.

I drilled the stock '02 horn contact ring piece so I could attach the spacer block to it, and also drilled a hole so that the wire from the carbon pin could be inserted inside the column surround. Then, I attached the block, and drilled it to accept the carbon pin and passed the wire through. I carefully aligned the pin so it would make contact with the ring on the wheel. Again using a file and a dremel, I curved the top of the spacer block so it wouldn't interfere with the wheel. I inserted the carbon pin into the block with the wire out the back of the trim piece, added a male spade connector to connect with the horn wiring harness, and reinstalled the whole thing on the column surround just like it originally was.

It works perfectly and because I mounted the spacer to the bottom of the contact trim piece, it's also invisible.

Now, the horn works just as it should, and I have a very cool smaller, leather covered wheel. IMHO, it looks great in the '02.

Just thought I'd share.

Cheers!

post-17544-13667624268743_thumb.jpg

post-17544-1366762427002_thumb.jpg

post-17544-13667624271019_thumb.jpg

post-17544-13667624272271_thumb.jpg

post-17544-13667624273271_thumb.jpg

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

I have a stock 528E wheel that I wanted to use. I did not think about the contact ring being a different diameter. I thought I could do the same process as the 320is steering wheel replacement. I guess not. Thomas Kowalke

This is not a particularly difficult mod. The process of making the spacer block isn't especially difficult, you just need to be precise in the measurements and take your time.

I am an engineer by degree, but it's mostly an intuitive process and taking one's time.

I hope that my procedure and pics are of assistance. I believe my solution is elegant in it's simplicity, the sign of a truly engineered solution. I did not really spend my time trying to make it look 'pretty', favoring functionality over aesthetics, especially since it's essentially hidden. But it works and is bulletproof. But, perhaps some can better what I've done.

I'd be happy to assist you in getting your E28 wheel to work the way it was intended. Just let me know...

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

from an early 2800 coupe--the contact was on the steering column and the brass ring was on the steering wheel. Otherwise the steering wheel was identical to the 2002s except with a wood rim.

A careful inspection of the woodrim wheel revealed a hole in the steering wheel right where the contact pin should go. I removed the brass ring on the wheel, poked a contact through the existing hole and it worked perfectly.

Did you consider just drilling a hole in the steering wheel to acomodate a 2002 contact?

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

...A careful inspection of the woodrim wheel revealed a hole in the steering wheel right where the contact pin should go. I removed the brass ring on the wheel, poked a contact through the existing hole and it worked perfectly.

Did you consider just drilling a hole in the steering wheel to acomodate a 2002 contact?

cheers

mike

You raise a good point, which seems to be the obvious solution. And to answer your question, yes I did consider drilling the wheel, but the problem with that is threefold. First, only that portion of the hub which lies 'inside' the contact ring's circle is accessible, all the area at or outside the circle is covered by the vinyl/foam of the hub and spokes. You could drill the hole, but once through the aluminum, there would only be vinyl/foam. Second, the brass contact ring has an intergral male spade end which fits into a female spade which is flush with the 'bottom' (underside) of the wheel. To make that work, you'd have to drill a hole for the pin, and then another to feed the wire in and then back through in order to fit a spade connector and plug it in. While not especially elegant, it would nonetheless work.

The deal breaker though is the stand away distance this wheel has from the face of the column surround - 9/16". The OEM Carbon Pin (I bought one for a 320i Sport wheel from a UK supplier) would simply be too be too short to bridge this gap once inserted in the wheel, even fully extended on it's spring.

Believe me, I worked this problem in my head for 2 mos., looking at every possible solution before settling on this one as the least destructive and simplest functioning.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002