• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 BMW 2002 for sale

SportsCarLA

As you can see in the photos, it has some small damage in the front. The car will need a new grill, small amount of bodywork on front panel and the hood will need adjusting once done, back into position. A car backed into it in a parking lot. Apart from that, this car has never been in any serious accident and only has a couple of minor rust spots at the bottom of front fender. The body on this car is beautiful and extremely solid and original. Engine was rebuilt 5000 miles ago and is extremely strong, along with a very nice transmission. This car drives very nicely and happy on the freeway. This was a white car from new, dash is very nice and all instruments work. Seats are original but getting old, along with the carpets. This is an extremely nice 2002 which you can enjoy just as it is or a perfect car for a light restoration. Please give me a call if interested. 310-330-9909. My name is Roy. Asking $5,950 obo.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

SportsCar LA - Los Angeles' Largest Collection of Classic Cars.

You should post some shots of the engine bay and close-up shots of the nose, from the inside and outside, undercarriage shots, as well as interior pics and a cost estimate from a reputable SoCal body repair shop that deals in vintage/classic cars.

"Why would I pay that much money for a 1981 BMW that looks...like a 1981 BMW?" -Charles William Jones, Jr.

1975 Polaris, Sunroof

1976 Malaga

1993 E36 Sedan

1992 Mazda Miata

1998 Volvo V70

If you buy all the parts needed to do this "small amount of bodywork" NEW it would cost you about 3K plus you have to pay for the body and paint.

Here's the breakdown just by looking at the pictures, there might be more damages under the hood:

• FRONT PANEL $942.16
    HOOD $1,105.98
    GRILLE CENTERCHROM/SCHWARZ $112.07
    GRILLE LEFTCHROM $424.61  
    ONLY WITH:--COVERING SCHWARZSET $93.34
    GRILLE RIGHTCHROM $424.61
    ONLY WITH:--COVERING SCHWARZSET $93.34
    MOULDING $75.86
    LEFT TURN INDICATOR $141.56
    Total $2,988.92

The new parts pricing have been based on current pricing on Maximillian's site.

You could also find these parts used for about a little more than third of the new pricing but you still have to pay for body and paint.

• FRONT PANEL $400.00
    HOOD $200.00
    GRILLE CENTERCHROM/SCHWARZ $112.07
    GRILLE Complete $300.00
    MOULDING $75.86
    LEFT TURN INDICATOR $40.00
    Total $1,127.93

Used parts pricing have been based on current market value (faq / craigslist etc.)

My post in no way an attack on this listing, it's just a more realistic opinion on the cost of repair.

M.02C

Thank to everyone for the responses. I suppose I mis-wrote when saying "small". A special thanks to vic74 for the parts list. I have placed a few more photos below. Yes the car was on eBay and no that is not overspray on the rear reflectors. Below are some photos of the underside. As you can see, it is very clean. Let me know if you have any more questions or need anything in particular. Thanks!

SportsCar LA - Los Angeles' Largest Collection of Classic Cars.

SportsCarLA - thanks for posting more pictures and being receptive (e.g., not defensive) to the community's input/response on your 2002 for sale. My own comments (other than what has been stated) would be: missing washer bottle, some rust underneath that will require attention (floor pan on driver's side, I think), but not overwhelming rust, and there appears to be some overspray in the engine bay area (e.g., paint overspray on shock tower bolts and engine bay decals), unless that is just dirt/dust (in which case I would give it a good engine bay cleaning/detailing).

Best of luck with your sale and thanks for posting here.

-Marc

[oh, I think those are late steel wheels on an earlier 02]

'73 2002 (Agave) - Horst

Somebody with some bodywork skills will be able to fix that nose. It's not like the nose is smashed in, it's just bent up a little. The hood might be more of a challenge but is still probably fixable. It might be more cost effective to have another used hood re-sprayed though. Other than that it's a pretty clean car.

With NADA guide saying the value for a 71 is 9k low to an 18k high whomever buys that car has a little bit of room to work.

-Jaycen PNW2002