• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 1800 in Hemmings..

Timmer

Wow, indeed it is a very similar car. The one I'm buying is a '66, this one is a '68. Both are Turf and have a 6V system. The engine compartment on mine seems to be nicer. The dash on mine is wood vs. black vinyl on this one. My interior is black vs. grey on this one.

It will be interesting to see how it does on May 1st. My car should be arriving to Baltimore at around that time.

If anyone is coming to Elkhart Lake for Oktoberfest you will see it on the concourse.

Luis

Luis

Wow, indeed it is a very similar car. The one I'm buying is a '66, this one is a '68. Both are Turf and have a 6V system. The engine compartment on mine seems to be nicer. The dash on mine is wood vs. black vinyl on this one. My interior is black vs. grey on this one.

Photos here: www.1966bmw1800.wordpress.com

It will be interesting to see how it does on May 1st. My car should be arriving to Baltimore at around that time.

If anyone is coming to Elkhart Lake for Oktoberfest you will see it on the concourse.

Luis

Luis

Looks nice against the snow background.

Looks correct under the hood, wonder what brand horns are now installed?

Those old 6 volt horns would freeze if you didn't use them often. Sure they had an adjustment but to keep them healthy you had to use em!

Wonder what that yellow switch is on dash?

Wish I had an option book on these cars as I find it strange that it has the full rocker covers but non wood dash?

67 2000 Tilux.

66 2000 Tilux.

67 1600 6-volt.

71 Straight 2000 , last NK I ever drove, her right hand shock tower totally fell apart on April 1st 1990! This is no joke!

82 320I

87 535IS, my beloved ''Giesella" that I've had for 16.5+ years.

Quite a few interesting changes/variables on NK cars Jon; final year 1800's had horizontal tail lamps and grille changes as well; 2 black slats per each side grille; some had wood dashes and some had the wood steering wheels as well.

Tim

3 previous NK cars

'67 1800ti

'68 2000ti

'69 2000

Tim,

True story, I once knew (20 years ago!) one of those U-pick junk yards in mid Jersey, the guy had 8 x 1800s and 1 x 2000. I'd spend hours looking and looking them over, and all 8 of the 1800s were different, and I don't mean colors.

Under the hood you never knew what you would find as far as the brake boosters and master cylinders (even same year cars!) 6/12 volts and even then lay outs were all over the place.

If there was ever a car more interesting in ever changing details other than the 2000 model it was surely the 1800 models!

That pigeon-grey interior on topic car reminds me of a very rare Caribe 1800 that was in that junk yard. In that case while fadded to all hell the color combo worked.

This Turf/grey combo I don't realy like.

In all honesty when I realy think about it, there may have been no true option book, I realy believe that what ever was on hand that day got thrown on these cars, in the interest to get them out the door! L.o.l.

That's why I wondered why this car has the full rocker covers but not a wood dash? I would expect it would have either no rocker cover or that 3/4" straight trim. No Becker 6-volt Radio, but fancy full covers? L.o.l.

Even when they came down to colors, 90% of the 1800s I ever saw were either chamonix, turf or granada.

Have seen bristol, derby, polaris but very rarely, and in the case of caribe, a single time! )the recent 1600 for sale posted on site reminded me of the color)

Always liked, no make that loved the 2000 models more than the 1800, but one of my regrets was not buying an 67 1800 with 40k original, it was chamonix with that black/red interior combo. No rust but had 800 dings in it!

Tomorrow marks 20 years since I've driven one (71 2000) and I still miss those cars.

NK withdrawals.....................................................................................

Jon

67 2000 Tilux.

66 2000 Tilux.

67 1600 6-volt.

71 Straight 2000 , last NK I ever drove, her right hand shock tower totally fell apart on April 1st 1990! This is no joke!

82 320I

Sorry, no pic. I was going to use parts of it to restore the TISA's that I had at the time. They are all gone. I still have some odd parts laying around. G

There are those here like me who would love to know what magical TiSA bits you may have laying around. I work on the deWitt's car in Sacramento and my Dad and I have one near Berkeley that we're getting ready to dive into to get back on the road, and later vintage race.

Please email me through the FAQ with whatever trinkets you may still have.

Thanks,

Tom Jones

BMW mechanic for over 25 years, BMWCCA since 1984
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 585k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Jon,

Just a few days over exactly a year since I sold the 1969 2000; had it for about 8 years, not one problem ever with the 1 barrel Solex. Very fun car to drive in it's stock condition.

Tim.

Tim

I agree that they were very fun, even the straight 2000. I thought that going from my first Tilux with 45 dcoe carbs to later on a straight Solex car would be a let down, and sure, raw power wise it was, but the overall handling and road control was great.

I'll probably get banned from this site, but IMHO those cars handled as good as if not dare I say better than 02s!!!!!

Maybe the longer/wider wheel base? Maybe the extra 500lbs kept it planted better? I realy don't know other than to me they did!

Much better car to drive in the snow than any 02 I ever drove.

Sure you had all that body sway in the rear (even with the rear sway bar) but the thing was you realy didn't feel it while driving!

Looking back on those cars, I think I finally figured them out, Those 2000's bribed you as a driver, making you think the car was faster than it was, braked better than they did and you could out handle an Fiat 128! LMAO!

p.s. I can't recall the part # but there was a rear Koni brand shock that realy helped out the rear.

One last thing based solely on my own experience of having a high speed crash in my first, I at all times felt safe in one!

Jon

67 2000 Tilux.

66 2000 Tilux.

67 1600 6-volt.

82 320I

Maybe the longer/wider wheel base? Maybe the extra 500lbs kept it planted better?

Jon

BTW they do not weigh 500lbs more than an '02, much closer than that. A TiSA weighs in around 2400 and a '76 '02 weighs over 2500. Sure you can't beat the lightweight early 1600-2s with their 2050 wet weight, but everyone's favorite Tii's weigh in at 2350.... I can't see a fully loaded 2000Tii weighing more than a........ 320i. :)

Wait til you get to drive an NK with a bit of suspension under it. I'd almost say that the longer wheelbase creates more stable handling than an '02. :)

Tom Jones

BMW mechanic for over 25 years, BMWCCA since 1984
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 585k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20