• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air Dam... Quarter-turn fasteners?

02for2

OK...

It's getting warm enough here to start work again and one of my projects is to install an air dam, which I already have.

One of my concerns in adding one was restricting access in the front for a floor jack and the hassle it would be to unbolt/bolt it anytime I wanted to use the jack.

One thought I had was to use 1/4 turn fasteners similar to the ones pic'd below. What I would do is take an aluminum strip and attach the mounting tabs to it and pass the fasteners through the air dam and the body sheetmetal to lock into this alluminum strip behind the sheetmetal. This way, the air dam is easily removable when need be.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Cheers!

post-17544-13667622338904_thumb.jpg

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

Oh, Dzeus.

Sure. Many (most?) racers with proper air dams do it this way-

you can't get a car onto the trailer with the dam on.

Makes brake ducting a bit different, but it's quick and pretty effective.

The fasteners hold very well, if they're properly backed up,

and your plan certainly seems adequate.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

As Bill eludes to, are you sure you really need them? My kamei air dam is molded with the adjacent panels and I've never had a problem. It just takes a little bit more effort and thought. I jack from the side for almost everything. If I need to access the front, I can either use planks of wood or a combination of wood and a side jack/jack stand to get the front end high enough to get a second jack to the cross brace. Just my .02

Michael Rose

'91 Porsche 964
'00 Dodge Durango
'13 Honda Pilot

I just keep two pieces of 2x8x16+- and drive up on then when I park it in the shed. A normal floor jack slides under nicely.

Once the front is in the air. I get the front on stands, then insert the floor jack from the side to the rear subframe and out of the way of where I put the rear stands and get that in the air.

Bob's your uncle!

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

as toby said...very secure if backed properly. these fasteners are used extensively in race cars to hold everything on.

down side on street car...makes it easy for someone you don't know to take off....

Yes, I agree. That's why I'm going with a hex or tamper-proof type head.

I used 1/4 turn fasteners very successfully to hold the under pan on my Lotus Esprit, so I'm used to using them and setting them up properly.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

I use something that looks exactly like this for my turbo front airdam. The car can't get on a trailer with it on so I just quarter turn it off and it pulls right up with about a half inch to spare on the intercooler. They really grip strong if you do them right!