• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seizure of Rare Supercar Raises More Questions

f1reverb

Full story . . .

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/12/10/seizure-of-rare-supercar-raises-more-questions/

"Immigration and Customs Enforcement seized on Monday a 1994 Cizeta V16T, a rare supercar with fewer than a dozen in existence that is not legal to drive or own in the United States.

According to an affidavit provided for the seizure warrant, the car was imported on Feb. 17, 2001, on a one-year bond to have mechanical work done. While the car was never sold in the United States, the founder and owner of Cizeta, Claudio Zampolli, lives in California. Last month, the agency learned that the Cizeta V16T was still in the country, stored in a warehouse in Fountain Valley, Calif. Operating on a tip from an investigator at the California Air Resources Board, ICE agents found the car at a classic car showroom in nearby San Juan Capistrano, where, on Monday, they seized the car." . . .

blogSpan.jpg

"These vehicles can pose a real threat to public health and safety.”

Just substitute guns/transfats/sodas/cigarettes/whatever for "vehicles" and it's the same old "we'll save you from yourselves" argument on anything. If the guy broke the law and you nailed him, great, but don't give the BS along with it.

The responses to the article are amusing.

although it was said several times in the comments, folks are ignoring the reality of the situation. has nothing to do with the car. the seizure has to do with the owner violating the one year bond on the car. if the owner had complied with the terms of the bond, the car would not be being seized. folks are all torqued up at customs, but they should be po'd at the dumb ass owner who was violating laws.

i have a gray market car. euro 320. it is legal to drive in us because original importer followed the rules. this guy with the super car didn't. his bad, not customs bad.

yes, I work for DHS like the Customs guy that seized the car does....

2xM3

although it was said several times in the comments, folks are ignoring the reality of the situation. has nothing to do with the car. the seizure has to do with the owner violating the one year bond on the car. if the owner had complied with the terms of the bond, the car would not be being seized. folks are all torqued up at customs, but they should be po'd at the dumb ass owner who was violating laws.

i have a gray market car. euro 320. it is legal to drive in us because original importer followed the rules. this guy with the super car didn't. his bad, not customs bad.

yes, I work for DHS like the Customs guy that seized the car does....

QFT. My touring was imported legally as were the two e21 323i's I had. Want to own a non-USA super car? Import it legally or keep it at your French chateau, dude.

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '92 M5T (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

There should be no laws about what you can drive on public streets. If you want to drive a tank on the street who's the government think they are?? If I want to have the 50 caliber machine gun active whose the government to say no. And I can run metal tracks and tear up the road. Those rubber tracks that protect asphalt are for wimps. And dont forget the big gun. I'll use that on anyone who trys to stop me or make me pay taxes. Just say yes to tanks..

they should sell it to pay for the national debt....;-)

Actually, that is what they do with seized items -- except contraband, of course.

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '92 M5T (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

Actually, that is what they do with seized items -- except contraband, of course.

well, that's somewhat confusing- if that car is not contraband, please explain why.

unless you're referring to that portion of 'asset forfeiture' specifically designed to impoverish criminal defendants in drug cases, which this is not.

this really is an example of government run amok. there would be no raid to recover an old '02, no matter how rare in this country. the value of this car, and the fact the owner is wealthy are the prime motivation.

we'll see what excuse for due process is used to mulct this person of thousands.

robert w.