• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel finish opinions

ought2

I've posted these wheels a couple of times looking for information on their history. All I know is that they were mounted on an old Tii, Momo's, 13X5.5 and a 4 1/2 " offset. I blasted them this week in preparation for finishing, but I'm really at a loss as to how they should look. I love the old school style and don't want them to be too flashy. At first I was planning to polish the lips and the flat raised surfaces only, leaving the spaces between the slots more of a cast look. Now that they're all clean and uniform in color, I kind of like the look. The color of the blasted alloy isn't quite as uniform as the picture suggests, so I need to coat them with something. I'd like feedback on what you think would compliment the older style of these. TIA

blastedwheel.jpg

Never let school get in the way of your education!

SiteNamecopy.jpg

The only Krylon dull aluminuum I've seen locally states that it's for indoor use. Is this what you use and the clearcoat protects it from the elements - not that my car ever sees the elements...

SiteNamecopy.jpg

Paint, followed by Clear is the way to go. Steer away from powdercoating, especially on an older wheel, because the oven temp required to melt/flow the powder will ruin the temper of the alloy causing the wheel to break when you least want it to - None of the major wheel manufacturers use powdercoating for this reason.

For paint, I'd suggest Wurth Wheel Paint They make a nice kit which gives good results and is the paint used by German manufacturers.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

Yes, the Krylon Dull Aluminum paint I used did say it's for indoor use. I was worried about that too. I put on lots (about 4) coats of Krylon clear over the aluminum. Also, I forgot to mention that I put down several coats of Krylon Zinc-Rich gray primer before the dull aluminum. So far it's been holding up great and they are on my daily driver which is always exposed to the elements.

I've also used the Wurth wheel paint on a set of tii alloys and it's very good too.

Those are some cool looking wheels you have!

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Prep:

Blasted them and smoothed a few nicks with a fine file.

Body Shop primed them and shot them with several coats of silver, in this case, I think they used a Mercedes argent silver, (my other steel set was done Polaris 090 and they look similar) and a cleared them with a dull topcoat. I think I paid about $50 cash per wheel. Find someone who works at a body shop and ask if they will do it on the side/weekends. FYI--most of the cost is in the paint. Good Luck!

11qh84j.jpg

--> 1968 2002 <--

How about:

1) Center hub silver (paint your rotor/drum black)

2) Rim edge and raised ribs outlining the "spokes" polished

3a) Paint the flat wheel surfaces either matte black or semi-gloss black

3b) Paint the flat wheel surfaces body-color

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I refinished the wheels I currently have on the car (in my avatar) by polishing the lips and painting the spokes and hubs with Duplicolor silver wheel paint followed by semi gloss clear. I'm very happy with that look and will probably do somethiong a little different with these. I'm leaning toward playing it safe with either the Wurth wheel paint or Krylon dull aluminum. Thanks for all of the opinions! I'll post up a picture when I get one done.

SiteNamecopy.jpg