• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I found my clunk !

DUDONLY

Today I just had it..... It was time to find my clunk when I turned the steering wheel. The steering guide arm that comes from the steering box and attaches to the rack and pinion which is held on by a nut is the problem. Is there a washer or something that goes in there to keep it from moving or should I just snug the bolt down ? I did a search and everything but this is covered.

Thanks in advance

Dudley

71 BMW 2002 "Von Eiff" gone baby gone

73 BMW 2002 " Mingus "

04 BMW X5

75 Triumph Tr6

00 CLK 430 Conv

Honda Elite Scooter

Vespa Ciao

Dudley,

it's very difficult to help when your car

part terms are way off - (no rack-n-pinion steering

in these cars)

maybe you can point to the trouble spot in these diagrams?

02STEERINGFRONTANDREAR.jpg

02steeringstrutbearings.jpg

02STEERINGIDLERbearing.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Hey Dudley -

I wonder if your steering box "drop" arm still has the cotter pin that holds the castellated nut secure. The pin is smaller than the ones used on the rear axle nut. Since the nut for the center tie rod track bar joint faces upward, it is difficult to not only see where the pin goes, but also hard to install a new one.

When was the last time your tie rod ends and center bar were replaced?

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Dudley,

From your description it sounds like the ball joint the pitman arm connects to might be bad, the pitman arm connects the steering box to the long center bar. The ball joint i speak of in in the driver side if the drag link. As Jim said, check the cotter pin, if it is missing tighten the nut and put another pin in it. If the pin is there you probably need a new drag link, the long bar in the center. And as Jim said, check the tie rod ends too.

hth

Arden

http://ardens-2002tii.blogspot.com/

71 2002, tii, Schwarz

72 2002 tii, Polaris

76 Trans Am, Sterling Silver

96 Volvo 850, Daily Beater

Parts Cars: 73 2002 Malaga, 74 2002 tii Granatrot & 76 2002 Verona

OK- the "while you are in there" repairs-

check the ball joints, check the center link and tie rod ends, buut don't forget the idler arm bushings on the opposite side of the engine bay. These always get forgotten. Fairly cheap and easy to change, especially if you already have the center link out.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Thanks to you all..... It looks like my center link, tie rod ends,and bushings will get changed out for new stuff when the warm weather gets here.

Dudley

71 BMW 2002 "Von Eiff" gone baby gone

73 BMW 2002 " Mingus "

04 BMW X5

75 Triumph Tr6

00 CLK 430 Conv

Honda Elite Scooter

Vespa Ciao

• 9 years later...

The same joint on my son's car just started "clunking" when turning the wheel left-right while the car is stationary.  It can be felt in the steering wheel.  The thing is, we replaced all the ball joints less than two years ago and there is less than 11K miles on the new joint(s).

Any ideas on why that joint in particular might be susceptible to this?