• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WD40 is not your friend...read

nbristow01

For all of you WD40 freaks please beware. WD40 is not very good at unseizing parts. Even worse NEVERRRRRR spray WD40 on moving parts. It will act as a cutting fluid and dramatically increase wear. It's designed as a moisture remover.

I used to (and still do) restore antique clocks. When I get a movement in that the PO used WD40 on to lube they are so worn.

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Also (most of you are well aware of this) do not spritz WD into locks/onto keys... use graphite lube/powder for this! The WD will simply attract all sorts of dust and micro junk into the tumblers causing certain grief down the road.

Cheers!,

__/ 0| \ _

'-O----O--' #73 (I'm looking for a couple of parts *here* / 4 Sale parts *here*).

Also (most of you are well aware of this) do not spritz WD into locks/onto keys... use graphite lube/powder for this!

I like to use the key with a thick coat of Mr Zoggs Sex Wax or any other surf wax I might have around and work it in. I do this once a year to keep locks working smoothly. I used it on my shovel to keep the snow from sticking to it too.

Arden

http://ardens-2002tii.blogspot.com/

71 2002, tii, Schwarz

72 2002 tii, Polaris

76 Trans Am, Sterling Silver

96 Volvo 850, Daily Beater

Parts Cars: 73 2002 Malaga, 74 2002 tii Granatrot & 76 2002 Verona

Plus, WD40 is so thin, I used it to lubricate a garage door lock (back in Germany about 20 years ago) in the winter, and the lock froze !!! Not a good idea.

However, WD40 is very good to clean metal, or rubber and plastics. That's the only thing I use it for.

For lubrication, I like cable and chain lube.

Dieter

Current:

- 1970 Colorado 2002, 1982 323i, 1972 Porsche 914, 1956 Porsche 356A Coupe replica, 2003 Mini Cooper S

Past:

- 1980 320is Turbo, 1972 Malaga 2002tii, 1973 Polaris 2002tii, 1973 Sahara 2002, 1981 Alpina C1 2.3, 1989 M3, 1984 Hardy & Beck 327S

Amsoil makes a light duty MP lubricant that dries to a dry film and does not gather dust that is a good lock and clock lubricant.

They also make a Heavy Duty MP that dries in a wax like coating and is a very good preservative and heavier lube for non lubed chains. It also doesn't collect dirt. I use it on all my fasteners exposed to water before assembly and they don't rust. I often see machined parts, like cams and cylinder walls rusted from condensation in storage. Coat these and no rust. I've got a block outside for the 2nd winter and the cyl walls are coated with this stuff.

I recently refurbished a set of sport seats for an E30 and after cleaning the hinge components, I lubed them with this. Grease would have made a grimy mess when dirt collects, like they were when I started the project.

A worker at a water works where they use it polished a rusty old wrench and coated 1/2 of it with HD MP and hung it outside for a year, no rusting.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

I recently refurbished a set of sport seats for an E30 and after cleaning the hinge components, I lubed them with this. Grease would have made a grimy mess when dirt collects, like they were when I started the project.

did you find a DIY how-to that called for a specific type of lube? i found two, purcell and e30tuner, and neither said more than 'oil' to lube.

after much soul searching i went with spray white lithium- your thoughts?

and, did you change out the struts? i did just the drivers seat, mostly to fix the broken tab, and the backrest still seems tired. 1991 318is.

robert w.

did you find a DIY how-to that called for a specific type of lube? i found two, purcell and e30tuner, and neither said more than 'oil' to lube.

after much soul searching i went with spray white lithium- your thoughts?

and, did you change out the struts? i did just the drivers seat, mostly to fix the broken tab, and the backrest still seems tired. 1991 318is.

robert w.

No DIY, I usually do my own demise. These parts don't need a lot of lube. The don't get lots of workout. If this lube works on ATV chains for duty, it's good enough for a seat hinge. I didn't want the mess with greases. Oil wil gather dirt and turn into a grinding compound in open service.

I changed out the gas cylinders $$ Blunt has them. 4 on the backs and 4 on the lift for both seats.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.