• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1976 BMW 2002 School Project Build Thread

mrdew

A little about me.

I went to Freehold Twp. High School in Freehold, NJ. While being enrolled I only ever took Auto I my senior year, yet I have always loved cars and wanted a project car for the longest time.

My first car was a 1999 Chevy Tracker, one of the most reliable cars I have been around. The only problem I ever had with was a loose ground but over all it ran GREAT! The Tracker was also my first car that I ever modified. I lowered it with H&R coils and KYB GR2 shocks and struts along with and intake and a header back flow master stainless system. Call me crazy and call it pointless but I worked with what I had and it taught me a lot about cars.

2hwpcoi.jpg

Now for the rust. Overall not bad, I am going to be looking for a driver side door skin. The passenger side floor board is gone but atleast all it is is a square. The spare tire well has very minor rust, and of couse the rockers will be ripped out and replaced. I am pretty happy with the looks of it. BMW used a lot A LOT of adhesive on EVERYTHING haha but i tihnk it helped save the car by keeping the water away from the metal.

here are the pics:

the sprayer nozzle!

ofzncw.jpg

upper door skin rust

xpbqdd.jpg

spare tire well rust

28jitle.jpg

trunk

1zgrm2u.jpg

shock towers

9qv0uv.jpg

259vjbc.jpg

passenger side floor board rust...i mean hole in the floor : P

ncinvk.jpg

2hdcf45.jpg

20jjuih.jpg

there was wireing (lots of poor wireing) but it was wired for a sound system, still has JBL speakers

2m3p5wm.jpg

sunroof works!!!

2d7zg4h.jpg

152p4io.jpg

244t9hd.jpg

2crq8eo.jpg

2uftwus.jpg

:D

My second car was never under my name because we did not have a title to the vehicle it was a 1992 Ford Taurus. My friend and I split the cost of the car and I proposed an electric car project to my high school and I got it approved. Although it was a great idea for a project and the car was getting prepared for parts, it was hard trying to find donations for the project. This was due to the fact that when our project was going on so was everyone elses. During my senior year of high school I was getting ready to leave for school and the project sat for about half of a year and we decided to toss it.

2hwmk46.jpg

At the end of my senior year I bought my moms 2001 VW Golf TDI from my mom because she was getting a new car, a G6. I sold the Chevy Tracker and I have looked back a few times, but the VW brought me into a whole new world. The TDI being my thrid car I somewhat knew what I was doing and my plans for it. Looking through threads I wanted to fit in but I also figured that it was my daily driver and I had to be able to drive it comfortably for a 200+ mile trip out to school and also handle well in the snow that PA gets. As it sits now it has a 14lb single mass flywheel, a vr6 clutch/pressure plate, no muffler, an intake, port and polished intake manifold, sub-woofer, head unit, and an amp. Not too much and just enough room for everything else and that is how it sits at this point until something breaks on it.

1zmo5qr.jpg

After purchasing the TDI I headed off to Penn College of Tech. It was my first year and I enrolled in the BAU Automotive program along with the Honda PACT program. I fooled around with my car and had fun it it on and off road and didn't make some of the best decisions with it, but I am fixing my mistakes. After completing my first year of school I went back to work at Six Flags Great Adventure after not being able to find an internship due to the economy. While working there mostly during nights I got talking with some of my good friends and helping them out on there cars.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

1976 BMW 2002

i posted a previouse topic asking generally about a 1976 BMW 2002. Well I got in contacct with the owner of the vehicle, and today I went and got to go and see the car.

I woke up ealry, and went to go pick up my friend a a dolly to bring with me just in case I decided to by the car. It took us approx an hour and a half to get the the house but was well worth the wait imo.

Upon first glance it looked ok, nothing exciting. It looked it it was sitting for a few years and we were correct. The owner of the car came over and we talked for a little, and then the car just started right up with no problems except a little belt issue. It was way too loose upon futher inspection, but no harm no foul.

Looking at the car further we noticed it had last been regestered in 2000 and the body needs new rocker panals (but the frame is study) and the drivers side door needs help, but other than that the caner wasnt that bad.

We drove the car, it still has a nice power band and shifted gears without any grinding, but the slave cilender may be leaking? and it will need a new clutch most likely, but I will be tearing the engine out withen this month to prep it to bring it out to school.

The owner wanted $500 for the car, but we agreed on $400 wich was $100 more than what I wanted to pay, but it was worth it. When I got a chance to further inspect the title it has only had one owner I am the second and the true milage of the vehicle is 238,000 ish.

can anyone identify the wheels? :confused: :confused:

now for the pics. soooo many : )

2rcto5c.jpg

dnbvoz.jpg

2a7wxf6.jpg

2lw7nmu.jpg

1rxefc.jpg

2ry3ntj.jpg

34zennp.jpg

slqnw6.jpg

judzr5.jpg

30u3e3d.jpg

ehaume.jpg

14b24wy.jpg

snake skin! haha

15qddnk.jpg

risn4g.jpg

zx1mps.jpg

2v985jk.jpg

2s1x4rn.jpg

so far all of te extras i found in the car

2jceyx0.jpg

including

vevkt3.jpg

Well it looks like I am putting most of the money aside for the engine rebuild that I will be doing my second semester out at school. But with that being said not much body work will be completed in the mean time. Right now as she sits I cleaned her up a little but, and removed all of the side molding. The marker lights will be staying.

I am debating on two diffrent colors, wither a shade of white or any shade of blue.

opinions?

2lv1yu1.jpg

5xk6d4.jpg

214yxhv.jpg

update 11/25/89

I didnt get much if any done today it was raining out and I dont have a creeper so I didnt bother getting under it and soaked at the same time : /

ap8zz7.jpg

15d9s1x.jpg

2crpy7q.jpg

33crmfq.jpg

fe14ig.jpg

24gt6ci.jpg

dpb9zk.jpg

2qlx4yo.jpg

2jg8bnl.jpg

ddhzpk.jpg

2vrv242.jpg

iz5kbp.jpg

Did some work today, I got more done than what I wanted to but tat is a good thing. : ) The pictures should explain a lot.

2n07uht.jpg

20shm2s.jpg

1zw10nm.jpg

13yjdbq.jpg

33uegjn.jpg

10wijr7.jpg

i4mfcp.jpg

9st8o8.jpg

aoqg6v.jpg

First day home for break and got a decent amount of work done, I am prepping it to take out the engine. Today I removed:

-bumper

-radiator

-condenser

-evaporator

-some of the a/c lines

-disconnected everything that went from the engine to the car except for the remaining mounts

I also pulled the valve cover just to get a glance at what I am getting myself into and I was very happy to see what I saw : )

2i71g0y.jpg

oanew0.jpg

b3oig6.jpg

upside down valve cover

qnqtn5.jpg

upside down hood

95opl0.jpg

The condenser was literally falling apart and the system was already dry I do not plan on putting the a/c back into the car

2h2if02.jpg

radiator

2czxaw6.jpg

Tranny All nice and clean, took forver to do : )

jjsaio.jpg

Brought my tools home from school for break : ) Also got the bottom box fixed up so I am using that now also.

15qakht.jpg

v3hv13.jpg

2nc1h8l.jpg

haha :P

sem6fr.jpg

:laugh:

3166u8j.jpg

2rh5wld.jpg

2rza1iu.jpg

29oq4ir.jpg

2uxv96q.jpg

1qrim8.jpg

ohp734.jpg

295r9dk.jpg

:laugh:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why should it bother the people next door? eye sore?

looks like it needs quite a bit of body work and some new body panels ha?

wish i had the time and space to do a full project like this.

good luck and have fun.

down here in the south, a lot of communities have home owners associations and their purpose is to keep communities looking good, maintaining property values, etc. at an old property of mine, i could not even keep the garbage dumpster at the side of the house (even behind a small bush) since it was still visible from the street.

my project blog:

craaaazzy's 2002 project

I'm in PA too, Hanover, PA.

Some areas of PA have townships,municipalities,buroughs and they all have differnt rules that have to be abided by.

At my home, I can get fined ($250) if I park a car in my yard (the part that is not paved) reguardless if it has tag on it or not.

When I added on to an existing garage, I was told I had to stay 15 feet off the property lines and , thankfully, we have a double lot (width) of about 45 feet wide. I dont know how single lot owners can build a garage in my area.

Anyhow, welcome to the site and have fun with your '02. It looks like you have your work cut out for you. Your car looks like it has already had the bumpers moved in (looks better).

Fishhead

Fishhead

----------------------

Motorcycle Big Brake systems

Be yourself and be free with your thoughts because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter..

Just a safety note for you with those jack stands. Blacktop is not a stable surface for that much weight on top of the narrow edges of the stands. I'd put a piece of plywood or something comparable underneath to spread the weight. I had a car go through black top many years ago. Thank goodness nobody was under the car when it went down. Good luck on your resto!

Never let school get in the way of your education!

SiteNamecopy.jpg

^^i agree in the summer I would have definatly have done that but from my experience blacktop becomes a lot more stable when it is colder perventing the jackstands from sinking into the ground : ) Thanks tho!! : )

----------

Help me choose : )

-------------------

ev0vo5.jpg

------------------------------------

4he6bp.jpg

Went shopping the past few days. I made approx $280 some dollars walking the neighborhoob with the snowblower the other day sooo this is what i bought : )

bought the engine hoist:

2ywsbwj.gif

ordered this today:

349aoex.gif

and got this yesterday:

2e2nia0.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :D