• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HEY 02 RACERS how to stiffin the 2002 chassis

1972fritz

You can do all the seam welding/roll cage stuff, this is fairly common practice.

One place you can stiffen the car is in the rocker panels by taking them from a two-piece channel section to a four piece.

Inner_rocker_fitting.jpg

We use an MG inner rocker section, which is a flat vertical piece that goes the length of the rocker panel, slightly modifed and then fabricate a channel section, which is welded to the MG piece as shown above.

Then the factory outer rocker panel is installed over this, and its all tidy, hidden and S-T-R-O-N-G

Matt McGinn

Sports Car Restoration

www.sports-car-restoration.com

1974 2002 turbo 4290909, resto project, looking for parts

89 M50'd e30

72 Alfa GT Veloce

84 M491 911

68 1600 channeled and flared project

70 2002 flared car project

I 100% support Matt on the installation of the MG rockers boxed reinforcements. It seems even stronger than the full cabrio reinforcements.

If the car is to be a racecar, nothing beats a good roll cage fully gussetted to the shell.

RollCage_13.jpg

RollCage_19.jpg

April_10_8.jpg

April_10_4.jpg

Cage_Final_14.jpg

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

WOW Lee - you've been busy !

Looks GOOD!

your work of art will be the new gold standard

for others to follow - and of course with Matt McGinn's

metal auto art also'

......and your cat looks fatter and more involved

this time round !?!

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Three other places:

1)Tie the main hoop into the top of rear subframe mount

Sorry, it is stuck behind the battery. Note the tab to the top of the drive shaft.

battery.JPG

2)Tie the two rear strut towers to the top of the diff mout area.

plum1.jpg

3)Tie the front of the subframe back to the under the dash bar and tie in the front strut towers.

2booster.JPG

Hope this helps,

Bob

3410619 - 74 1802 Verona Touring

3460120 - 74 Verona Touring....... (Sold) sent off to LA.

2760306 - Ultimate driving machine Skidmark 204 car. 72 Inka (Sold)

Formerly the old and slow division of Skidmark Racing. 

Matt:

Would doing this type of reinforcement work on the CS rockers? Have you done this on any CS resto's?

Doug

You can do all the seam welding/roll cage stuff, this is fairly common practice.

One place you can stiffen the car is in the rocker panels by taking them from a two-piece channel section to a four piece.

We use an MG inner rocker section, which is a flat vertical piece that goes the length of the rocker panel, slightly modifed and then fabricate a channel section, which is welded to the MG piece as shown above.

Then the factory outer rocker panel is installed over this, and its all tidy, hidden and S-T-R-O-N-G

If we learn from our mistakes does that mean I have to make them all?

73 CS Polaris
76 2002a Sahara

Sorry to stray away from the topic but Lee, I love your cat! I thought I was the only one with an '02 obsessed cat. My cat (Dennis) loves to get in my car. Quality's crap but this picture just cracks me up! I must have opened my boot only 30 seconds before and he was straight in...

post-385-13667617486969_thumb.jpg

'73 tii arancio borealis - finished?!

'74 lux fjord - gone :(

'73 3.0csi polaris

Hey Adam

My four cats own my cars. Whenever I work on one of the cars, for sure they come out to play with me. They climb on the roof, trunk lind, or inspect the interior. They almost look at me asking what I am doing on THEIR car.

If I work in the engine bay, they also pass the tools or give me suggestions to trouble shoot.

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

ah Dennis is hopeless when it comes to spannering - he only works in imperial and just can't get the metric way of doing things. i think it's cause his mother was a sphinx... ;)

'73 tii arancio borealis - finished?!

'74 lux fjord - gone :(

'73 3.0csi polaris