• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heater Box, Fan, control valve, etc.

kstrause

The one part of this rebuild process that intimidated me the most has come to pass; rebuilding the heater box. I read the FAQ (extremely helpful), and everything is proceeding along nicely until I pulled out the heater control valve and discover that the lever is missing. The valve itself looks good, operates smoothly and the few times I had the car running didn't leak. Its been cool this fall and early winter and had the control calling for heat so I just assumed it was working properly. So, to make a long question into a short one, can I buy just the lever? Does anyone have one? Thanks.

Kurt Strause

'72 Nevada (as yet un-named)

I am not sure if they are the same as your '72 but I have some rebuilt valves (later style) and it would seem that if your lever is missing, one could assume the stem on the valve would also be stripped/broken/missing. IMHO you should get a new valve if you have gone through with the rebuild.

'76 2002 anthrazitgrau 'Eli' the Chancellor

'87 325i delphin 'Chandler'

If you are missing the lever on the valve, then you will most likely need the pin bolt and nut that secure the heater control cable to the lever itself. My original pin bolt broke when I refurbed my box. I just bought a new one from the dealer.

Here is my old assembly

Valve before removal

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

see if the lever is still there? The accepted method of valve removal is to unbolt the lever from the valve and leave it attached to the cable...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite