• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim's (Samplemaven) 1972 Inka Tii restoration

Samplemaven

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After a couple of months of inactivity, work has resumed in earnest and completion is within reach.

The interior is starting to take shape now...finally. The carpet is installed, and the front seats are ready to be put in. The rear seat was in perfect condition and didn't have to be recovered.

All buzzers and lights work properely. Everything seems to be coming together well. Pedal assembly was completely rebuilt prior to reinstallation so ought to work out well. If fact, nothing was replaced without being rebuilt or replaced if needed.

I've deleted the radio and will use my iPhone for all entertainment.

Next week car should be back to painter for final buffing and polishing. Then the final new trim, new wheels and tires will be installed...after that, I'm ready to ride.

post-16885-13667631529487_thumb.jpg

post-16885-13667631530607_thumb.jpg

post-16885-13667631531573_thumb.jpg

post-16885-13667631532706_thumb.jpg

Samplemaven

BMWCCA #420368

'72 2002 Tii Inka restoration project

'07 550i Titanium Silver, steptronic...ED 2006

Keep up the good work.It will be a mixed bag to see her up and running again.

Jonathan

1973 Malaga "ti"2.3 stroker,dual 45s,lots of Alpina content13x6 Superlites bilsteins,Petri Sport ,GTS Seats,Coco Mats,Old Man Style "Patina"....but the old Emily is Fast.

2010 GTI 200 H.P.,dsg ,18"wheels etc.modern daily driver.

• 4 weeks later...

We got her running this past week. She started within a second after the key was turned. She's running a bit rough, has several fluid leaks, and the exhaust manifold has a leak on it as well. None of these issues are creating a big problem. We're very close to completion now.

Samplemaven

BMWCCA #420368

Jim,

Looking good.I knew she could be rebuilt.As I've said before I hope to see her soon,that tii was a great car and when she was mine so damn original on blue plates.

Jonathan

1973 Malaga "ti"2.3 stroker,dual 45s,lots of Alpina content13x6 Superlites bilsteins,Petri Sport ,GTS Seats,Coco Mats,Old Man Style "Patina"....but the old Emily is Fast.

2010 GTI 200 H.P.,dsg ,18"wheels etc.modern daily driver.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks as if we've gotten all the issues with the engine rebuild settled. All fluid leaks are gone...car is running smoothly...exhaust is clear of any smoke with what I consider a nice, smooth, exhaust "note" using stock exhaust system.

I took short, five second videos with my iPhone 4 of engine sound and exhaust note...basically this is a trial upload on YouTube with links below:

Soon I will record more video with engine revving and so forth.

All electrical is 100%. The lights, Tii dash clock, horn, back up lights, turn signals...etc are working properly.

Recaro seats are recovered and installed and working properly. I'll still have a little work on door panels...but the car will be driveable soon.

Engine sound is good although a little loud because hood is still off car and the car is on jacks allowing engine noise to be a little too noisy...but typical of a Tii sound. Hood will be installed tomorrow.

Car goes to paint shop next week (finally) for final buff out...then final exterior trim and rear seats will be installed. Wheels and tires will be the last thing...although I already have them ready.

We're very close to completion.

post-16885-13667633936975_thumb.jpg

post-16885-13667633938776_thumb.jpg

post-16885-13667633940584_thumb.jpg

post-16885-13667633942786_thumb.jpg

post-16885-13667633944398_thumb.jpg

Samplemaven

BMWCCA #420368

Wow the seats are awesome! The car has come along nicely and it will be great to see it in person at the Vintage. Under the hood is looking really fine too! I have a few suggestions-

Have the fuel line from the Kfish to the cold start injector re-run...it normall runs under the first intake tube and over the next one before meeting the cold start injector

Looks like this:

846703505_M2e9Y-L.jpg

And consider switching to braided fuel line from Walloth & Nesch for originality (though some will dissuade you from braided line altogether)

70 M2 2.5L 

Hmm no update yet saying you've test driven it and alls good.. Saturdays not looking promising a? I can come up Friday evening and help you wrap things up if your super close to finishing.. Or you can just take your other bimmer Saturday. We won't judge you!

Zac Cardinal

1972 2002tii's Blog

1976 2002 "Margie"s blog

IMG_2146copy.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Hmm no update yet saying you've test driven it and alls good.. Saturdays not looking promising a? I can come up Friday evening and help you wrap things up if your super close to finishing.. Or you can just take your other bimmer Saturday. We won't judge you!

Sorry I wasn't able to make it to the recent drive. I think I'm about two weeks away from getting the car back. First trip is probably going to be to the Dragon's Tail with a buddy that has a new Camaro he wants to put through the paces as I put the Pumpkin to its first driving test.

It seems as if I've said we're almost finished a half a dozen times over the last three months...but this time I think I'm right!

Samplemaven

BMWCCA #420368