• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carbon fiber and fiberglass hood/trunk group buy-

Retrogroucher

Gruppe,

I spoke with John at American International Racing and he's agreed to work with us for a group buy for their hoods and trunk lids. We need 10 orders for the discount, and it doesn't matter what people want, just as long as we have 10 sets. Word from some FAQers is these are very nicely done and fit well. They hang on stock mounts and aren't prone to rattling like race- only FG pieces.

This weekend I weighed my stock hood and without trim and cross bar it was 45#. It has only a few oz. of Bondo on it. I don't know what stock trunk lid weighs.

Here are their specs:

CF hood 10-12# regular price- $750 GB price- $600

FG hood 12-14# regular price- $600 GB price- $480

CF trunk lid 6-8# regular price- $600 GB price- $480

FG trunk lid 10# regular- $425 GB- $340

http://www.americaninternationalracing.com/default.asp?id=259246

I'm just the messenger and not getting anything special other than the above prices. Anyone in?

I don't know shipping charges. Might be worth coordinating with other folks in your ville. There's no firm deadline, but will likely last a few weeks. Payment is with the vendor, AIR.

1. Yours truly

3. etc

Thanks,

Mike

Atl, Ga

m roach 2002 AT AOL

74 '02- M2 under construction by SnailPace Restoration, Inc.

88 M3 unmodified when retired from track

97 332is CrewCab (M3/4/5 )

99 MCoupe-- track rat

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Retrogroucher, you said "10 sets". Does that mean we have to buy 10 hoods and 10 trunk lids?

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

Retrogroucher, you said "10 sets". Does that mean we have to buy 10 hoods and 10 trunk lids?"

-That's my understanding, 10 of each. However, I bet they wouldn't mind if we got 11 hoods and 9 trunk lids, e.g., just as long as they move 20 pieces.

-About the clearcoat question- I don't know. Give them a call via the number on the home page. I know some people leave non- painted panels on their CF hoods (Andy S and golf car on SCR site).

74 '02- M2 under construction by SnailPace Restoration, Inc.

88 M3 unmodified when retired from track

97 332is CrewCab (M3/4/5 )

99 MCoupe-- track rat

Hi Mike,

Looks like I might have to start saving my lunch money for this! I'd be interested in a set of CF hood and trunk lid. What I'd want is clear coat on the inside, gel coat on the outside. That way I could paint the outside to look stock, but still have that lovely CF look on the inside. Is that possible? Is the CF heat-resistant, or would I have to cover it up with insulation in the engine bay anyway?

Thanks,

Ian

'76 M2 (with heavy hood and trunk)

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

Hi Mike,

Looks like I might have to start saving my lunch money for this! I'd be interested in a set of CF hood and trunk lid. What I'd want is clear coat on the inside, gel coat on the outside. That way I could paint the outside to look stock, but still have that lovely CF look on the inside. Is that possible? Is the CF heat-resistant, or would I have to cover it up with insulation in the engine bay anyway?

Thanks,

Ian

'76 M2 (with heavy hood and trunk)

Just buy a clear coat panel and have your shop prep the outside for paint - a few people have done the same. No issues with heat. You know you want to!

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg