• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Loud exhaust is a bit much...Exhaust ideas?

jrhone

Car sounds great....mean, aggressive, deep tone...but its loud. Any idea on how to keep the same tone, just make it quieter...and without losing anything. Its a custom exhaust thats on there now. A small muffler in the back and a small center resonator, Ireland headers...I believe 2 or 2.5 inch pipe from the headers back. I hear the Ansa small muffler is loud, and the larger one isnt available anymore...Ireland mufflers? Or stock? I want to keep the tone if possible, just quiet it down a bit.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

search around for the many opinions on exhaust... but I've got the Ireland setup which uses magnaflow center res and muffler (although mine is old and not the SS they have now... I think they are still the same size and brand as before).

If you have headers and then 2" (which is all you need, even with your cam and carb combo), that should get you what you're looking for... I have Tii manifold and 2" and it's just a tad louder at idle than original and nice tone when getting on it. now I have lots of sound deadener and inside it's very quiet, but a nice sound still at higher revs.

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

My suggestion is that if you like the sound of the car, but it is too loud 'inside" the car, just use some soundproofing. There are several discussions here on the board regarding various soundproofing installations.

I have been in both a soundproofed 2002 and non. and I can say the difference is significant. Particularly that 2500 to 4000 RPM vibration.

If the car is too loud on the outside >98db then a bigger center resonator will help.

My bet is that a good installation of sound proofing and you will be much happier in any case.

74 2002 Restore/Upgrade Project - M2

08 Alpina B7

....or just install a STOCK BMW designed

system with your header = fits, doesn't fall off,

quiet, excellent power, quality fit without interferance anywhere,

and don't sweat the 2" 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" Dia. stuff because

your not qualifing or shaviing of 1/10's of seconds off

your F1 lap times. Pay attention to all those here who

have been down your road already - and found going

back to a BMW Stock muffler and resonator was the hot ticket.

Pay closer attention to carburation and ignition timing,

and does your carb really open fully with the gas

pedal pushed gently to the floor?

02EXHAUSTPARTS.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

John,

set a day out and I can help with the fat mat install. I have a roll at home. Need to pull seats and carpet out and also get some extra carpet padding. This will help so much. I did 2 layers of fat mat on my car and then carpet padding. You'll notice the difference.

Le