• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

See George, I told you I'm not worthy

GWB, in an earlier post you asked about dumbassed things we've done while working on our cars.

Well, last night I tried to change out the struts that hold up the touring hatch (thanks Les for the link to the W&N special - they ship very quickly). Of course, nothing was holding up the hatch, so I proped up the hatch with a long piece of wood, removed the old wornout strut and attached the new one to the body. I tried and tried but could not compress the strut enough to atatch it to the hatch end. So I waiting until the carpenter doing my bath remodel came this morning. We tried together but couldn't do it. He scrathced his head, looked at it and said "can the hatch open more?."

Well, of course it could, it was just resting on the wood prop and once open all the way, there was no compress necessary.

Boy, did I feel smart!

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '92 M5T (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

Boy, did I feel smart!

it took a while but I'm glad you figured that one out.

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

Nice one.

Quick shipping doesn't come close to describing W & N. Ordered a pair of struts Sunday (email) and had them in my hand Tuesday afternoon (wasn't cheap, but still). Several years ago I ordered a complete front nose panel for my Touring from them. Ordered by phone Monday and the package was delivered Thursday. I cannot fault them.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

that is just a classic... sounds like something I would do too!

+1

pretty funny counselor

Yes indeed. A proud day as I slinked back into my corner.

Nice one.

Quick shipping doesn't come close to describing W & N. Ordered a pair of struts Sunday (email) and had them in my hand Tuesday afternoon (wasn't cheap, but still). Several years ago I ordered a complete front nose panel for my Touring from them. Ordered by phone Monday and the package was delivered Thursday. I cannot fault them.

It took them more time to ship the exact same parts to me when I lived in Holland. Seriously.... (And, no, I haven't replaced them twice; I like to keep spares, so I ordered this second set when my originals went out.)

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '92 M5T (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/