• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5-Speed Transmission Leak from Side of End Cover

I finally got around to starting to install the 5-speed that's been sitting in the garage for eight months. This is 5-speed #2 in a series, after #1 that I bought on Craigslist turned out to be bad. #2 was also a Craigslist el cheap special of unknown origin. Yesterday I threw the trani in the back of the Suburban, took it down to the self-service car wash, soaked it in Gunk, wire-brushed it, and pressure-washed it off.

When it was clean, I noticed that the right side of the back of the trani -- where the end cover bolts to the extension that in turn bolts to the main part of the case -- had a layer of some sort of RTV-like substance coating the seam. I scraped it all off, but made a mental note of it.

Today, in preparation for installing the 5-speed, I filled the trani with Redline MTL and let it sit for an hour. Sure enough, it is weeping fluid through the seam on the right side of the back of the trani, right about where the U-shaped notch is for the rubber mount. If you're looking directly at the back of the trani, it's at about 4:00.

I know that Mike Torres swears by Swepco 201, which is considerably more viscous than Redline MTL. Any feeling on whether it's worth trying, whether it may be less weepy?

With regard to changing the end cover seal... I took one and only one trani apart, 25 years ago, and swore I would never do it again, and that was a four-speed. Am I correct in assuming that all hell breaks loose and the thing explodes if you pull off the output flange, unbolt the long case bolts, and try to draw the cover backward?

Is it possible to pull it back just a little and dribble some RTV into the seam without risking disaster?

--Rob Siegel

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

Are you sure the tranny is good?

You can replace it if you have got the energy and time. Just need the special thin wall socket and a gasket kit.

I read the instructions on how to take my known good 5spd apart, and though that it would not worth the hassle. I did not take the chances in fear that I would fuck something up and replaced the output flange seal only.

68' 2002 DD

To properly repair the leak requires completly dissasembling the tranny. Not a hack job. You may plug the leak by cleaning the area with brake cleaner and coating it with epoxy. A kluge if ever there was one. Good luck G

Guest Anonymous

were can one get instructions for disassembling a 5 speed? (an e21 manual?) any online tutorials as a supplement to the manual?

the e21 manual is (was?) online from MT not very long ago,

but I've misplaced the link.

Anyone?

It does have a list of 'special tools' longer than the list of 'replacement parts'

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Or... seal the door to the cave with RTV?

:^)

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

I downloaded this manual and it appears to show the disassembly process only for the four-speed, not the five speed.

I noticed that too but had not looked in detail to see if it states exactly what transmissions it covers.

For your needs, it does look to be a major endeavor to get the rear case separated. I doubt the 5 speed is too much different in steps to do so from what is outlined in that manual.

Does anyone know if there is a manual that specifically breaks down a 245 5 speed tranmission? thanks

Comcrap, indeed. What should take 2 minutes takes the better part of an hour.

"improvements have been made to your services" my ass.

http://home.comcast.net/~racery/trans/192.jpg

Anyways, try these- start here, and increment the number to get successive

pages. One is missing- 202- I think because it was blank. 215 is the end.

These files were up on BMW's technical site a while back, with public permission.

Take them now, as I won't leave them up forever...

And to answer your question from the manual, Rob-

"removing end cover:

1. remove front cover...."

No, it's going to be a bit of work. BMW transmissions are 'backward' to

almost everything else out there- what's just a tailhousing to your

average transmission is the center section to BMW, and the

'case' of a regular trans is just a 'front cover' to BMW. It's a... different...

way of thinking. Certainly not service- friendly.

t

http://home.comcast.net/~racery/trans/192.jpg

post-611-13667608157904_thumb.jpg

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL