• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Honu' #2588935

stevebo77

So what exactly are you using for headlights and where did you get them because I am in need of some better lights on my old 02 and I like yours. I wish you good luck with the clutch cylinder!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So what exactly are you using for headlights and where did you get them because I am in need of some better lights on my old 02 and I like yours. I wish you good luck with the clutch cylinder!

These are what I got and where from:

The hid bulbs and wiring kit: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AQBGQU/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

The new housings (i would recommend against ones like these that have that extra lense-type thing inside, it's too shallow for the bulbs so I had to slightly modify the back of the housings to allow for room):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001N06BRW/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

Thanks! I should probably attack that cylinder tomorrow :\

hryniukBMW.gifSteve Hryniuk

Hilo Hawaii

1973 BMW 2002

Project Honu Blog

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

I bet those would suffer the same problem as mine. And also, I bought some from that seller on ebay- the front glass broke as soon as I started *barely* tightening the retaining rings on! If you can find any housings that have no inner lense or reflector, that would be best. The HID kit already has a glare shield built in, just in front of and around the bulb so there are no worries about on-coming cars seeing the actual element.

If I were to do this project again, I would pop for some more expensive Hella housings, as the Hellas seem more substantial and have thicker front glass (but I prefer the clear glass look I have now, and don't think Hella has clear housings).

Hilo Hawaii

1973 BMW 2002

Project Honu Blog

Finally attacked the clutch cyl today.

Question one: Who's bright fucking idea was it to put a freely spinning nut opposite a freely spinning bolt in two areas where one cannot possibly hold a wrench to both? Shoot them.

Getting the bottom nut off the clutch cyl in the box was easy enough with a well placed vice grip on the bolt in the box, while I turned off the nut under the car. But getting the top off was impossible, even with my wife in the car working the wrench and me underneath trying everything I could come up with to stop the nut from just spinning.. no room! Screw it, weld the damned thing on there and just wrench the bolt out.. Seems like something that should have been done... AT THE FACTORY.

I was a little worried about doing the same thing to get the new nut/bolt on when installing the new one, not knowing what the heat would do to the insides- but I took a gamble and put a *tiny* quick little weld to keep the nut in place for tightening. Bottom one went in easy.

The old, wobbly, non-extending, leaking, crappy one.

IMG_7756.JPG

The new one, with lots of pep and full extension. From underneath and from in the cab.

IMG_7767.JPG

IMG_7770.JPG

While I was doing so well, I figured it would be swell to replace the brake slave too. Overall not a difficult task, but the line connections were pretty rusty and soft. We had one mishap.. Now to figure out what's next :P

Here's a shot of the new one in place, not tightened down all the way yet (can you spot what went wrong here?)

IMG_7761.JPG

Here's the old one, no mistaking what the problem is here :P

IMG_7759.JPG

Crap!! Time to find a proper fitting, ferrule, and flare tool tomorrow, or get a whole new line to replace that entire run.

If images won't show, they're up at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/sthryniuk/1973BMW2002#5387868927721385858

http://picasaweb.google.com/sthryniuk/1973BMW2002#5387869369987474002

http://picasaweb.google.com/sthryniuk/1973BMW2002#5387869425085196866

http://picasaweb.google.com/sthryniuk/1973BMW2002#5387869149512966834

http://picasaweb.google.com/sthryniuk/1973BMW2002#5387869217381120962

Hilo Hawaii

1973 BMW 2002

Project Honu Blog

All done. Ended up finding just the right parts at carquest to repair that sheared off brake line below the master cylinder. Slapped that back together, tightened everything down and bled the heck out of the entire system.

Shifts are now wonderful, it's like a whole new car :)

Brake pedal is hard as a rock and stops the 02 excellently now.

Easy work and big benefits, always a good thing.

Hilo Hawaii

1973 BMW 2002

Project Honu Blog

Not sure where or why the radiator is leaking, but it is.. I can't seem to replicate the leak when the radiator out of the car and under pressure. Ah well. Set it aside and wait for some new parts I ordered from forum member 'cracker'. Picked up a 320i radiator + puller fan and a 38/38 plus ported manifold. Woot!

So in prep for that shipment, I yanked out the radiator and all the hoses. The top waterblock, and the water pump. Already have a new waterpump in a box, so that's ready to go on once I get some gasket sealer to apply before reassembly. Also will need to pick up a few replacement hoses in whatever best matching curves I can find in town.

The top waterblock was corroded as heck. Gave that a generous wirewheel polishing and it looks great and safe once more.

I'm a little nervous about pulling my current manifold and 32/36 off, but since I've already got so much apart, why not right? :P

Hilo Hawaii

1973 BMW 2002

Project Honu Blog

Anyone else here use spraycan brake cleaner for cleaning up pretty much everything? I love that stuff. I pretty much shoot a can at anything that isn't pristine- just love seeing engine grease melt away quickly.

That is all.

...is also a cheap contact high.

That it is!

Updates:

Since pulling things apart, I just got carried away with little projects.

Today I moved the battery to the trunk, just so happened to have a nice thick run of acceptable 4awg cable for the job. It's really nice to have the battery and its tray out of the engine bay- just so nice and roomy (I'm very pessimistic about noticing any performance gain from having it out of the engine bay, but will welcome any beneficial changes).

Installed the new waterpump and top water block. Put the pully back on without the fan.. I think I'm going to just run without it since the new radiator from cracker has a electric puller on it already (am looking forward to the inertial load being removed from the engine with that fan now gone).

I decided not to pull off the manifold and 32/36 just right now.. I'll save that for a nice project later this year, maybe when I treat myself to a new cam and set of headers to really soak up the benefits of the 38/38.. maybe.. we'll see how long I last once I actually have it in my hands :P

Here's an oooooo and ewwww shot of the waterpumps side-by-side :)

Boy that old one is ugly!

pumps.jpg

Hilo Hawaii

1973 BMW 2002

Project Honu Blog

I've found myself tooling around in the carport at 3am for the last couple of nights! Not doing anything groundbreaking but definitely having fun out there.

So I finally gave up on the angled boot 4 inch intake hose to the weber.. that part is up in the for sale forums (for free) as of just a few minutes ago. I really want to explore the idea more, but REALLLY don't appreciate the $100~200 price tags on those weber/K&N/whomever plenums. Soooo I dug around in my parts bin (the seemingly bottomless parts bin) and dug up some extra weber air filter parts.

The result isn't gorgeous but it is interesting. hehe

I sliced the snorkel off of an old round air filter housing and welded it to a new sheet metal box that is the same dimensions of your typical weber rectangle filter. That monster now bolts to the filter plate on top of the carb. The box is wrapped up in sticky tin backed tar material to make the box airtight because my welding rig is just not good with that thin metal and will burn it up if I try to seal the whole thing with welds.

Will run and grab some appropriate tube or flex hose plus a new cone filter and more sheet metal tomorrow. The new sheet metal will form an air box where the battery used to reside, and the tubing/filter combo will reside within that.

Will also open up the front wall just a tiny little bit more to allow for all that fresh grille air to get sucked up.

Yeah yeah, it's ugly. I know, but for now it's just me getting this idea out of my head and killing a few extra parts that were taking up room in the garage :P

CRW_8015_02.jpg

And now for something that is a little easier on the eyes:

valveCover_final.jpg

Hilo Hawaii

1973 BMW 2002

Project Honu Blog

Anyone else here use spraycan brake cleaner for cleaning up pretty much everything? I love that stuff. I pretty much shoot a can at anything that isn't pristine- just love seeing engine grease melt away quickly.

That is all.

I thought I was the only one that used brake cleaner as a parts cleaner!

Zac Cardinal

1972 2002tii's Blog

1976 2002 "Margie"s blog

IMG_2146copy.jpg

I do NOT think that this is a marvel of engineering!

transmissionLamesauce.jpg

So many goddamn pivot points and I just donwanna drop the drive shaft to make sure they're all tight (again!) to ensure the shifter won't be dragging holes into the driveshaft.

SO, today I've punched a hole through the trans tunnel under the carpet and shift boot. Also drilled a hole through the shifters steel support just over the drive shaft. Through those two holes went a long bolt (with the nut welded to the underside of the shifter support under the car, so I could easily wrench it tight from the drivers seat). Job done. I double dog dare you to drop loose again goddamnit!

:)

Hilo Hawaii

1973 BMW 2002

Project Honu Blog

OH!

Also got my timing gun in the mail today... and didn't have the first clue how to really use it since I've been timing solely by ear this whole time.

So I'm out there and reving and testing and shooting and then my neighbor (a BMW tech and orange Targa owner) from two doors down came over as a result of all my high revving engine noise haha. He schooled me a little bit and explained that I'll probably never get the 'ball' to float perfectly in the middle of the timing view port due to the age of the motor, but it did well enough and everything was pretty much dead on already from my by-ear tuning.

He also pointed out that I have a 'desirable' tii distributor.. nice. Learn something new about my car every day lol.

I still haven't received my parts in the mail that I bought from the part-for-sale forum, but just couldn't wait any longer as I've been feeling stranded at the house :P

So I just put everything else back in today.. New fuel pump block-off plate bought from this site, new water pump sans the stock fan, and old radiator with my existing pusher fan (which is acting up and will need to come out one more time for a non-generic replacement). Happy to report that the leak I mentioned a few replies up was just due to a poorly sinched down lower hose. That's all sorted now and it was at least good to get a new water pump in there. I do, however, need to grab a new o-ring for the radiator petcock since that was just rubbish.. without that old one in there I now have a super-slow dribble that will need to be sorted out soon.

My lowbrow welded-on synclink = wow. That plus wet asphalt is a little on the hairy side. I think it would be slick to bend that back just a little bit so that it kicks in at half throttle instead of any-throttle.

Hilo Hawaii

1973 BMW 2002

Project Honu Blog