• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Honu' #2588935

stevebo77

hmm.. thats the rear eh? I had a similar problem only to find the inner portion of the rear trailing arm had rusted out causing it to bend and me needing to find one to replace it with. Pull the wheel off and have a good look.

On Borrowed Wings

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Steve - keep at it - your doing good.

Besides the "mud" in your carb, I wonder what the bottom of your gas tank looks like. All that swerving may have loosened crap in the tank, clogging your "screen".

Your sending unit may also need pulling to fix the indicating issue.

Taking a few steps backward today before doing any of the fun projects.

Honu has developed some intermittent issues when loading up hill, that plus some inconsistent fuel levels in the two filters (plus obvious floating rust) means it's time for me to pull and seal the gas tank today (or days that it takes to complete the curing)! Glad to do this one, it's a peace of mind fix that will be good in the years to come.

Picked up a POR 15 kit today plus a tank to store the last of the good gas.

Now to figure out how to pull the sender out.. (?) It isn't appearing to be obvious to me .

hryniukBMW.gifSteve Hryniuk

Hilo Hawaii

1973 BMW 2002

Project Honu Blog

NM, removing was pretty easy.. getting the sender all the way out was kind of tedious, it didn't want to let go of the bottom to completely remove.

Anyway, see the photo and riddle me this: What the FARK is that red thing?? It was curled up in the bottom of the tank, it feels like silk, it's red.

The screen is practically solid. Yuck!

Okay, back to the grind.

IMG_6866.JPG

If image doesn't show up, is located at http://picasaweb.google.com/sthryniuk/1973BMW2002#5365198776413483602

****EDIT****

Okay, all done for tonight, just have to do the actual coating tomorrow and let that cure for a few days. I'm now assuming that the red thing is garbage, as I also found a couple of Crayola crayon wrappers in the tank too shock.png

Hilo Hawaii

1973 BMW 2002

Project Honu Blog

Steve -

Glad you finally pulled the tank. Did you take a pic of the inside before you started cleaning it out? I'm puzzled about the long red "string" and also wonder how crayon wrappers got into the tank. Maybe the sending unit stopped working at some point and a PO used the red thing to stick into the filler neck to check the fuel level (and they dropped it in).

Make sure you inspect that 0-ring at the top of the sending unit for cracks. The tank may leak when you reinstall the sending unit. Based on your low-budget build, I would match it up with a new o-ring from a hardware store (try to get one that is gas resistant).

Keep it coming!

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Aye, I'm glad I did this project too. Getting rid of those fuel delivery problems is a major load off my mind. Nah, didn't do an in-the-tank-photo, it was too depressing in there ;) Truly gross and sludgy. Besides the red strap and crayon wrappers, I purged about a half cup of chunky and fine rust/particulate.

The O-ring was surprisingly supple and crack-free, so it stayed on for another chance at life.

Did the internal coating today and gave the exterior a rust-o hammerfinish paint job. Tank is back in and drying for the prescribe 3 or 4 days before I put back the drained & strained fuel.

Aside from all that I rearranged the engine bay fuel routing with some new copper tubing (I love doing that, have done it in all my project cars where possible). Also cleaned out all the filters and replaced their replaceable bits, then added my fuel pressure gauge just before the carb inlet (regulator is here, but the 'full kit' didn't come with any of the necessary connections.. lame).

On my other projects, the custom air intake idea is not dead! I found a killer cool 'cobrahead' 3 inch intake boot at intakehoses.com for 20 bucks. That will give me a sharp unrestricted angle in 3-inch flow to the carb while still fitting under the hood. Just need to relocate the battery to move forward there.

Headlights are all put together, just not installed until I add the fuse block and relay panel to the bay somewhere.

Been busy with making money lately! Will be back on the customization road soon :)

Hilo Hawaii

1973 BMW 2002

Project Honu Blog

HID headlights are in! Just waiting for it to get relatively dark out again to share a photo here. They look and react amazing. I had to invert them from how I thought they should have been mounted (guess I wasn't as smart as I thought), because there was a massive halo being cast upwards with a severe cutoff at the bottom of the beam. So flipped those over and now there's a halo to the bottom, spreading out around car and a severe line at a little lower than hood hight.

Of course, with the good news comes the bad.. Just ordered a new waterpump. I can hear the noise of singing bearings or impeller shaft wobbles, and the temperature took a massive and quick spike today. Pulled over and waited for the cool weather to kick in and limped her home at just over half hot on the gauge. I've been hearing hints of the waterpump for a couple weeks now but it's definitely time to drop the small amount of money on a most important component.

While pulled over and cooling off, out of nowhere 'CW' and his 74'02 shows up! What a nice surprise for both of us to see another 02 owner in Hilotown.

Photo of the lights coming up later this evening, but for now here's a pic down by the post office.

IMG_0206.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_J7qOyOZix0w/Sn5PonRxCvI/AAAAAAAAEpQ/SKqHbKj7OlE/s800/IMG_0206.JPG

Hilo Hawaii

1973 BMW 2002

Project Honu Blog

Finally some lighting shots.. sorry, these were rushed and I didn't get good shots off with the point-n-shoot!

These are flex type 8k hids.. so when you flip the column hi/lo to hi, the electromagnet in the bulb base itself is engaged and changes the angle of the bulb to reflect more light out of the lamp housing. Pretty cool stuff.

Only a nighttime drive will tell me if I'm pissing people off, but I've made every effort (short of putting a chrome eyelid on the headlights) to make sure these cut off nicely and don't bleed a bunch of upward light. I put the car in the street, got in our other car and approached from the front, passed from the rear, backed up to it- all was good and no blinding. If things go badly and I start getting flashed I'll take this back to the drawing board.

Pics:

Wall line:

IMG_6899crop.jpg

Lamp shot:

IMG_6886Crop.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_J7qOyOZix0w/Sn-CeNVVFtI/AAAAAAAAEqM/P-mS5i1yWVM/s800/IMG_6899crop.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_J7qOyOZix0w/Sn-AehZ_wfI/AAAAAAAAEpw/bbdObKF0dQw/s800/IMG_6886Crop.jpg

Hilo Hawaii

1973 BMW 2002

Project Honu Blog

Of course, with the good news comes the bad.. Just ordered a new waterpump. I can hear the noise of singing bearings or impeller shaft wobbles, and the temperature took a massive and quick spike today. Pulled over and waited for the cool weather to kick in and limped her home at just over half hot on the gauge. I've been hearing hints of the waterpump for a couple weeks now but it's definitely time to drop the small amount of money on a most important component.

OOOOrrr, it could just be that ratty old fan belt that I never replaced since having bought the car!

Got a replacement today in the mail with the pump and as I was getting ready to pull off the old one, it snapped right off in my hands. Sometimes I think I don't deserve this car for my lack of sense haha.

Ugh.. ah well, at least I have a new spare waterpump in the parts box now!

With the new belt in, many little demons and sounds have gone away. Note to self: Keep it simple, stupid; check the minors before buying the majors.

Hilo Hawaii

1973 BMW 2002

Project Honu Blog

• 2 weeks later...

*SIGH*

They've canceled my insurance again!!

This was a small issue when I first started with Progressive with my 2002. They wouldn't accept that our short VIN numbers are actually for cars. I got them to actually look at the vin tables on this website and I get disconnected (thank you at&t). Call back, get a guy who actually knows these 2002s, get disconnected. Call back, get some guy (who's not interested in my story) and start the whole process again. Tho I have insurance ONCE again, I'm sure without a doubt that I'll be canceled again for the 'fake' vin number issue again real soon.

Looking forward to more phone time (NOT!)

Hilo Hawaii

1973 BMW 2002

Project Honu Blog

• 4 weeks later...

HEY...STEVE

I.LOOKED.OVER.HAMLETS.CAR!!!

PASSED.CAUSE.OF.ALL.THE.ISSUES.YOU.CONFRONTED.

ANYONE.BLASTING.YOU.HAS.NO.IDEA.OF.THE.DIFFICULTIES.REBUILDING.A

2002.ON.A.REMOTE.ISLAND.IN.THE.MIDDLE.OF.THE.PACIFIC

I.HAVE.PARTS.TO.SHARE....

HEADER.EXHAUST...SUSPENSION....

TRADE.FOR.A.LITTLE.HELP.AND.SHARE.A.FEW.BEERS!!!

IM.IN.KONA.

MY.BUDDY.BUCK.(HILO)AND.I.ARE.EACH.RESTORING.A.2002

PETE

Heya!

Good to hear from you, fellow stranded islander! :)

Totally man, this car was in just terrible shape if you remember right. Glad I saved it from non-use. Glad Hamlet was happy to let go of it hehe.

Parts to share?! Bonus! Doors?? haha god I need some new ones someday.

Anytime you guys wanna get together and have a bbq buildoff with beers. I'm down. A new neighbor just moved in a couple of weeks ago 2 doors down from me and he's got an '02 too! Also is a longtime bmw cert'd mechanic. Extra bonus :P

Ttys

~Steve

Hilo Hawaii

1973 BMW 2002

Project Honu Blog

Heya! No new accomplishments to report right now :)

I was on vacation for a couple of weeks and came back home last week to a vast puddle of brake juice under the 02. That sounds like my next tackle.

I feel like it's probably the clutch cyl, because the gears are hard to move through during the first few runs through them on a drive. Luckily have a new one of those and a brake cyl in the parts bin.

So the todo list this month will be to replace those and change that damned dirty oil.

Hilo Hawaii

1973 BMW 2002

Project Honu Blog