• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Honu' #2588935

stevebo77

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Keep it up man, nice to see a 'domestic guy' doing the euro thing.

Euro, is that what this is turning out as? Cool hehe, they must design like I do: drink a few pints and go to the garage and let the magic happen. :)

Dude for $1800 investment so far, you have a sweet car. Did you use spray cans to do the paint job? If you did, it came out awesome for what it is.

Aye, it's just spray cans. Honestly the price break is real close. If I had a Harbor Freight here in Hawaii and could pick up one of their cheapest painting rigs plus some proper paint, I bet it would have come real close to the cost of 16 cans of primer, 14 cans of white, 12 cans of blue, and 5 cans of black. I used nearly all of those cans (just a couple white left) and sprayed every surface with about 6 coats.. and of course spraycan jobs come out alot thinner than proper spray jobs. But it was generally cheap and definitely loads of diy pleasure hehe.. Thanks! At the very least it looks a lot better than it started and that'll do for me (for now).

This is one of the best project blogs I have seen in a while. Thanks for posting all of this and have fun with car.

My pleasure and thanks for the kudos! I'm glad to finally sit down and put together the project blog. Fun will definitely be had, just need to get down town and get the inspection and registration done.. and some tires.

hryniukBMW.gifSteve Hryniuk

Hilo Hawaii

1973 BMW 2002

Project Honu Blog

I can't imagine anyone wanting the leftovers, but just in case they do I've put up some pics here of the stuff I don't want.

If you want any of this, just calculate the shipping cost from zip code 96721 and that's all I'll want for the goods.

Click to view a larger version of the photo..

Stock air cleaner and what I assume is the metal bracket for it.

IMG_6285.JPG

Side and rear reflectors and lights.

IMG_6286.JPG

Some lower trim stuff.. missing one of the short ones.

IMG_6287.JPG

Rear chrome bar and Upper trim chrome.. looks like I'm missing one of the upper trim pieces. *edit* nevermind.. one of the longer curved ones was bent I remember now. This is a complete set, but not in great condish.

IMG_6288.JPG

Hilo Hawaii

1973 BMW 2002

Project Honu Blog

3042754640_d2d17a8e81.jpg

And sweet logo! :)

Im glad someone on here likes the logo. You're the first to point it out. Hopefully soon some other people on this site start showing off the logos I did for them as well.

Dude carrosene, I never told you that I'm obsessed over your logo? Oh, well, DUDE YOUR SIG PIC IS FREAKN AMAZING! Every time I see I'm like "oh snap there is that sweet sig pic again!"

-Zac

Zac Cardinal

1972 2002tii's Blog

1976 2002 "Margie"s blog

IMG_2146copy.jpg

After getting some seat belts in there, I took it for a more aggressive test drive today. I must have been driving shitty cars for a while now because I wasn't prepared for the car to respond to having my foot all the way in it! After the first turn out of my neighborhood, I went from 35 to 60 faster than I could look down at the speedo.. crazy. This must be love.

bmw_frontAngle2_0007_IMG_6362.jpg

bmw_backAngle3_0005_IMG_6400.jpg

bmw_hoodUp_0005_IMG_6456.jpg

bmw_frontAngle4_0008_IMG_6353.jpg

bmw_frontAngle2_0006_IMG_6377.jpg

Hilo Hawaii

1973 BMW 2002

Project Honu Blog

No highways here :(

I'll have to stick to practicing my aggressive moves on the Saddle Road.. it's twisty and curvy and I can't wait hehe.. tho there is a really nice long straight section on Saddle between Hilo and Kona.. I'll open her up there for sure.

Hilo Hawaii

1973 BMW 2002

Project Honu Blog

Small additions today..

Short of buying a new steering wheel set, I can't seem to find any horn contact rings and necessary bits to make the button push transfer down to the horn lead. So I picked up a floor mount horn button today.. Now to train myself to move the left foot in rage instead of the left hand when some fool cuts me off. $6

The one thing that realllllly drives me nuts about this car is the turn signal indicators.. 1 light to rule them all? I don't think so. So today I fab'd up a quick sheet metal wedge (spot welded and wrapped in black carpet) that holds two green 12v indicator lights. The wedge sits on the lip of the dash just below the speedo and just above the column pad. Spliced the leads for each green light into the relevant leads on the hazard circuit wires. Now when the blinkers are blinking, there's no question about it! The best part about this is that I didn't mangle the dash to get the effect, it looks good and functions excellently. I feel better with two (and the single one didn't work anyway).$4

1973%20BMW%2020021.jpg

I do believe that my stock mechanical fuel pump has a leak somewhere because mucho bubbles appear in the filter (on the 'out' side) when engine's off. Happened to have a spare electric fuel pump lying around from one of my old Cadillac projects. Never throw away car parts or computer parts haha. I put the pump on the rear right wheel well (in the trunk of course). Filter before the pump and filter before the Weber.. there is rust in the tank :(free

At first I thought the pump was shot because neither of the filters were filling up.. just a small barely visible trickle along the bottom. I later took a shot in the dark and decided to bleed the fuel line by dipping the final stretch of fuel line that should point at the Weber into a plastic bottle. Run the pump a few times to fill the bottle up half way and then reattached it to the Weber. Solved that problem.. guessing there was air caught in the line from my earlier work.

Added a discrete red light that indicates when the fuel pump is operating.. if it ever has a power failure, the red light will turn off and I'll need to pull over fast :) .. in retrospect, I probably should have had the light turn on when the pump fails, but that sounds hard. $2

Added an oil breather also. I disliked that old braided hose just ziptied down the side of the engine and pointing at the ground. Picked up a slightly too big breather element (too big because of the strut bar above it, forgot about that when I purchased) and wedged it on and in there good and tight. A generally irrelevant addition, but it looks nice :)$10

Replaced all the plugs and wires plus dremel-cleaned the points on the dist. A satisfying job. Also straightened out all the tangles of wire in the bay while I was in there today. $40

IMG_6477.JPG

My new door pin switches from Tilux arrived today! Sweet. Will pop those in tomorrow. Also in the mail are my new 7" projector style head lights. I researched online for hours to find just the right thing for me.. it ended up being h4 bulb sealed beam conversions. Projector style to steal some of that late bmw headlight look.

Hilo Hawaii

1973 BMW 2002

Project Honu Blog

Small additions today..

Also in the mail are my new 7" projector style head lights. I researched online for hours to find just the right thing for me.. it ended up being h4 bulb sealed beam conversions. Projector style to steal some of that late bmw headlight look.

love it , im sure people will be leaving some bad comments on it but hey its your own man be different still looking good

1976 Bmw 2002.3L Turbo "Motivation"