• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

removing control arm bushings???

Turb02

What is the best way to do this? I purchased new arms and they came with rubber bushings but I want to install the polys from IE that I bought and cannot figure out a way to get the rubbers out!!!

I searched for "control arm bushing removal" and the first 2 pages didnt have anything I could use so I am starting this thread.

I think ive seen a post here where someone made a tool out of PVC, washers, and threadstock.

Please help!

75 2002 "Project Turb02"

95 Hellrot M3 *Sold

95 332is *Sold

common way is to burn them out, but don't over-do the heat other wise you'll distort the metal sleeves and won't get the new ones in. You'll obviously have to re-paint/powder coat the arms. Sure you still want those ireland bushes installed? If it's primarily a road car I'd prefer to leave a tiny rubber compliance in those control arms and only put poly bushes on the tie rods.

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

nicks right. rubber is nice. however if you are set on poly make a press out of 2 big ass fender washers and some threaded rod. use a socket that is just smaller than the diameter of the bushing and that will force the bushing out. you wont have to repaint then. does that make sense? i suck at explanations

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

nicks right. rubber is nice. however if you are set on poly make a press out of 2 big ass fender washers and some threaded rod. use a socket that is just smaller than the diameter of the bushing and that will force the bushing out. you wont have to repaint then. does that make sense? i suck at explanations

makes sense to me - and a bit of washing up liquid might help them on their way.

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

Guest Anonymous
What is the best way to do this? I purchased new arms and they came with rubber bushings but I want to install the polys from IE that I bought and cannot figure out a way to get the rubbers out!!!Please help!

If you plan to destroy the rubber so that they can never be reused and you do not want to use heat and cannot put together a press, there is another option. You can drill holes into the rubber so that you compromise its structure. Grab the remaining rubber with vice grips and pull or push it through with punch or screwdriver.

hth

What is the best way to do this? I purchased new arms and they came with rubber bushings but I want to install the polys from IE that I bought and cannot figure out a way to get the rubbers out!!!

I searched for "control arm bushing removal" and the first 2 pages didnt have anything I could use so I am starting this thread.

I think ive seen a post here where someone made a tool out of PVC, washers, and threadstock.

Please help!

i just replaced mine w/IE poly, front, rear and dif, and he ride is great

to get the old ones out i heated the metal tube with a propane torch till it was hot enough to pull out with vise grips. after the tube's out getting the rubber bushing out is a snap. also, it won't leave rubber residue on the inside of the control arm.

fwiw

72 2002tii

1988 535is  “Maeve”

Please help!

I didnt have a torch, so I used a hacksaw to cut the fat side of the bushing. I then pushed the metal out and the rubber followed...

edit

oops... This is how I removed the subframe bushings

Time is the ruler of all...

This is where I intrduce my condensed "control arm bushing removal how-to FAQ"...

Starting with a pair of brand new control arms (as you are)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Go to your local high volume auto parts chain store (many / most loan tools) Borrow a ball joint press...also commonly used for u-joint replacement...or buy the one in this photo from Harbor Freight...Its $39.95 and is useful for all sorts of stuff.

Clamp the press in a vise (or you can free hand it, it doesn't take too much force) The swivel tip of the arbor is EXACTLY the right size to fit through the openings in the control arms

A little lubricant helps the bushings slide out and prevents damage to the control arms' finish...Repeat on the other end of the arm

Repeat the procedure with the other control arm...The bushings come out in good enough shape to sell them to a purist on Ebay...

And best of all, you can do this using this tool in 5 minutes per control arm...No exaggeration. The vise to hold the press tool DOES help quite a bit.

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

Ditto skipsfcr,

Those big "C" style presses are great for bushings, ball joints and U-joints. Be sure everything is straight, if something gets cocked it can cause damage.

Good luck

Arden

http://ardens-2002tii.blogspot.com/

71 2002, tii, Schwarz

72 2002 tii, Polaris

76 Trans Am, Sterling Silver

96 Volvo 850, Daily Beater

Parts Cars: 73 2002 Malaga, 74 2002 tii Granatrot & 76 2002 Verona

I have used the drill bit method a couple of times and it worked great. make swiss cheese out of the bushing and it will come out. Try to use the largest bit that will fit between the control arm and the inner bushing without marking them up.

"Technology has ruined the driving experience"

This is what I used. The first try, I boogered up the "sleeve" that goes through the CA near the ball joint end. The threads got ahold of the edge and pushed it into the opening. THe others went out without incident.

To fix the "sleeve", I just used a chisel to fold the area back towards its original location than used a de-burr grinder, TADA!

Thanks again everyone for their options. Before I borrowed the press from my friendly auto repair shop next door, I did try the drill method and that failed. THe bit was being pinched between the sleeve and the CA. This, however is the method I use on any bushing that I can, like the subframe bushings and various bushings on my M3, in the past.

BTW, are the IE poly bushings tapered? It was a pain to get them in with the sleeve already through one side of the bushing. Also, the metal sleeve isnt flush with both sides of the poly bushing, is it supposed to be? Or will it be once torque is applied?

75 2002 "Project Turb02"

95 Hellrot M3 *Sold

95 332is *Sold