• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roundie tail light question...

beammmer

ran out of time searching. Does anyone have a suggestion for a repair????

On passenger side taillight housing one of the plastic connectors is lifting off the posts. It's the brake light, the one on the left in the picture below. The brake light is intermittent due to this condition. I press the connector back on the posts and due to the spring pressure it works back up.

In the second picture the connector in question is on the left.

Thanks for your help, Don

P5100510.jpg

P5100512.jpg

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

put in a new rivet?

wedge something between the plastic housing and the metal base to level out the housing so it is not tilting to one side?

bend the contact tabs so there is more pressure against the bulb contact?

get a good used taillight housing?

Sorry I cannot help you - BUT your taillight housing is date coded January 9, 1973.

Pretty close to Just In Time. The car was built Tuesday, January 16, 1973.

Don

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

Remove all the bulbs. Support the housing from the bulb side with something solid, soft-surfaced, and curved to match the reflector. Hold the plastic block firmly against the housing. Mash down the cross-hatched rivet heads with a small ball-peen hammer.

To improve the spreading during the mashing, you could start by center-punching those two. Or you could drill a very small, shallow hole in the center of each.

If all of that fails, clamp in place and use epoxy cement.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators

Guest Anonymous

As Curt wisely noted, the cross hatched metal has been previously press fit and I would examine the other side and see if it could be reformed by repressing or restaking. I encountered a similar issue where someone messed things up and actually soldered the contacts to the bulb. Crude, effective and it was hardly set up for easy replacement of burned bulbs. On the other hand, while Toby may not have approved, it worked.

I repaired mine using two #4 (small) self tapping screws after removing the rivets which I think I drilled out. I used two 1" by 1/4" wide piece of brass strips on top of each other which I drilled to accept a small (#4 or 6)round head machine screw, lock washer and backing nut. I trimmed down the brass stock a bit to accept the spade terminal on the wire. This works fine after an initial bending with a small needle nose pliars to match the bulb position.

Dave in Baltim02e Maryland USA
1969 2002 Sahara  Manila  :)

1966 WM300 Dodge Power Wagon-Valley Green; 1972 Airstream Overlander; 1997 JDM Honda Prelude; 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 tow vehicle to tow home all the above junk!