• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A different question about hood pads

dubois

1)It seems odd how BMW decided to place the pads - any logic behind this?

2)I currently don't have any pads on my recently painted hood, and it looks beautiful. I am inclined to leave it as is or modernize it with the new thin cardboard stuff that is used today. Any thoughts, ideas? I do hate those dimples on the foam, and the thought of ever removing them again is frightening!

FAQ Member # 91

1502 never had those pads. I want to make the car as quiet as possible but I would not like to install hood pads. I think the look is a lot cleaner without them. Do they make noticeable difference in sound level?

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

before my repaint i temporarily installed some pads made out of that foil covered air bubble insulation stuff... just that did quite a bit to quiet down noise.... I was surprised. That being said I'm debating the same thing whether to install insulation pads over the pretty Inka... I probably will after the 'shine wears off'.

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

Guest Anonymous

If you are interested in going non-OEM, then may I suggest the mylar covered underhood insulation ("hood pad") cut to fit 2002's from BMP. It's easy to clean, doesn't get soaked with oil, fits perfectly (non-OEM placement) and provides good sound/heat insulation. It can also be purcased in sheets and cut to your needs. Good luck.

Roger

'72 Malaga

I told you it would be loud ;{)

i can vouch that a 73 with no pads, dcoe 40's, sock filters and jim's ansa is LOUD. i will probably put some insulation on the hood of my 75 when i get that far in the project.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

When I replaced my pads about 15 yrs. ago the old ones were pretty well shot - not much left. The new ones made the cockpit noticably quieter. Sorta OT, but what made one of the biggest differences in reducing interior noise at speed was the installation of a rear spoiler. When it first went on, and we driving back on the freeway from Tucson to Nogales, both my 8 yr. old son and my wife commented how much quieter the car was inside.

Bob Napier