• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking at a "72" 02 and could use some tips

rnorma1

but if you remove the first "1" it's 2572863, which translates to a mid-year 71 car, not a '72. Of course, it could have been a leftover 71 that wasn't sold until the 72 model year began--that was a recession year, and there were lotsa unsold 71s floating around--even BMWs.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• 2 months later...

rnorma1,

I bought this car and drove it home to Arlington, VA on May 2. It had one working light--the driver's side headlight, and with the highbeams on it was about as bright as a Bic lighter in a plastic milk carton. I drove it home at night, in the rain. To avoid getting snagged by the popo, I drove extra fast. My wife, who was following me in our daily driver, called me to ask how fast I thought I was going. "Traffic speed--70 or so." "Yep. Traffic speed--80 or so." The engine, once it warmed up, pulled like a champ.

The car has some nice features and some not-so-nice features.

Nice:

Weber 40/40 downdraft

Electronic ignition

Electronic fuel pump

H&R springs

Bilsteins--HD up front, Sport in the rear

5-speed

Some relatively new parts, including rebuilt starter, alternator and regulator

Some relatively new hoses and belts

Front spoiler

Late model rear fender

Interesting mix of stereo equipment

Not-so-nice:

Weber doesn't have butterfly valves, so it runs extra rough until it's warm

Bilsteins--HD up front, Sport in the rear--the rear bounces like a pogo stick

Rust in the engine compartment, hood, driver's side rocker, and a bit all over

Electrical system is screwed--wires are everywhere, some are cut with no ends

Windshield was cracked and needed to be replaced

Headlights were pretty much crap and needed to be replaced

All other lights are crap and need to be replaced

Interior was a disaster

Body has some dents that will require significant attention

Front spoiler is beginning to fall off the car and will need to be reattached

Left

Steering is loose as a goose

Odometer was dead (fixed it following instructions found on the FAQ)

Sunroof cables have broken plastic doohickies

Though the VIN indicates it's a 71/72, it's more likely a late 74-76 based on the rear-end (square lights, exhaust in the middle)

There are other issues, but I'd probably regret having documented them in a public forum if I tried to sell the car in the future

Summary: it's a 30+ year-old car, and it's showing its age, but it's an '02, so it's perfect. I bought the car so that I'd have a hobby to keep me busy while my shoulder recovers from rotator cuff surgery. I was afraid I'd return to capoeira before it fully healed (I had the surgery in October, went back to capoeira in March, and ended up ripping one of the screws out of my humerus an re-tearing the rotator cuff, so this is my second time around), so the car is in just the right state of disrepair to keep me busy until next January.

As rnorma1 planned to do, so I'm doing. I'm turning it into a track car, though I'm not sure I'll take it all the way to SCCA competition spec. So far I've managed to strip the entire interior to metal and painted the front of the interior. I should have the back portion of the interior painted within the next 2 weeks, after which I'll get busy prepping the exterior for painting. I've purchased a few parts to motivate me, including:

IE stainless exhaust (header to tailpipe)

TEP front and rear ultimate strut stabilizers

TEP stainless break lines

OPM racing seats

Kirk 6-point roll cage (from Draco02 on the FAQ)

Euro front indicators (from ought2 on the FAQ)

I'll get the parts I've removed from the car listed on the FAQ F/S forum in the next few weeks. I don't expect they'll be of much interest to anyone, but perhaps I (and another '02 owner or two) will be pleasantly surprised.

I'll also put my WTB list on the forum once I figure out what else needs to be replaced or strikes my fancy. I'm not made of money, but this car is a religion, and therefore not subject to a rational economic analysis.

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”