• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody know what these 4 wires are for?

2002Monster

White with blue strip

Green with brown strip

White

Brown.....

They seem to be bundled together....could it be for emissions or maybe the Solex Carb?

Its in a 1974 non-tii car....

The wires come out of the firewall and the bundle is only about 12 inches long. They look to have very small connectors or about 2mm wide, thus fitting on a 2mm wide spade connector

The white and blue wire is powered only.

Thanks,

Mike

post-2347-13667605257235_thumb.jpg

A little more info is needed to trace these out. What area under the hood are these closest to? what year is the car, or the wiring harness? In my 70 I have a 76 wiring harness. Also, not all the emissions wiring is shown in the stock diagrams.

Dave in Baltim02e Maryland USA
1969 2002 Sahara  Manila  :)

1966 WM300 Dodge Power Wagon-Valley Green; 1972 Airstream Overlander; 1997 JDM Honda Prelude; 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 tow vehicle to tow home all the above junk!

ditto what im3cazy said, where does this bundle come out of. show us a larger view of the engine compartment where this bundle is located. I have a California 74 with virgin wiring harness. I forget, was there a 49 state version different than a California version?

Bob

BMWCCA #4844 (#297 of The 308)

1974 2002 Sahara, MM 2400 Rally engine, MM 5 speed and conversion

1976 2002A Anthracite parts car

1991 525i AlpinweiB II

2002 330ci AlpinweiB III

2007 530xiT Titanium Silver

These could be wires associated with the ignition--seatbelt interlock relay. The 74 was the only model to have this feature (up-roar from the public forced Congress to invalidate the rule (?or law?) mid-year). If I remember correctly, the relay was mounted to the firewall with a short run of wiring going back into the firewall.

Also, I don't think you will find this wiring on any of the official wiring diagrams.

think they may go to missing emissions stuff...

I've discovered on most '02s that emissions wiring--and other USA-only related stuff like seat belt warning lights, ignition interlocks etc--are generally on small wiring harnesses that are separate from the car's main harness(es), and only connect in one place for power.

My '73 had a row of relays, control boxes, vacuum switches etc fastened to a bracket on the driver's side firewall. When I removed all that stuff, I found to my delight that the wiring harness that served all this stuff could be removed from the car intact without having to cut anything; just disconnect one power lead and one ground wire.

Suggest tracing that bundle to its source and see if it unplugs; then you can remove it neatly.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Guest Anonymous

According to the wiring diagram and the picture you provided here's all I could find:

Brown - Brake fluid level sensor

White - Either Horn relay main contact or Fuse 11 to a double contact slide connector that also has a green/white wire on the other connector.

White/Blue - output on the other side of the double contact connector with the white wire, this goes to another connector inside the car and eventually to the turn indicator/low beam switch

Brown/green - Either horn relay coil or oil pressure/brake fluid level sensor