• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulling the Pilot Bearing.. ( without a puller)

Meintii

Did you guys read Jenny Morgan in the March Roundel. She swears by the Assenmacher 6100A Blind Hole Bearing Puller. She says it's an "extraction orgasm". That's her words ...

Bob

BMWCCA #4844 (#297 of The 308)

1974 2002 Sahara, MM 2400 Rally engine, MM 5 speed and conversion

1976 2002A Anthracite parts car

1991 525i AlpinweiB II

2002 330ci AlpinweiB III

2007 530xiT Titanium Silver

• 1 year later...

ok this was a thread from some time ago. I dont want to be a bother to the man the myth the legend but I have his tool and it doesn't seem to fit in the hole--just like zachs issue above. Who else has gotten there hands on blunts tool and lubed it up and inserted it in the tight hole--it just seems to big.

1974tii #2780713

1987 325ic

2010 Audi A3 TDI

ok this was a thread from some time ago. I dont want to be a bother to the man the myth the legend but I have his tool and it doesn't seem to fit in the hole--just like zachs issue above. Who else has gotten there hands on blunts tool and lubed it up and inserted it in the tight hole--it just seems to big.

I didnt read back through this again... but the tool that finally got it out was Bill Williams Snap on Pilot bearing puller.. IT WAS an extraction orgasm as said above.. after weeks of trying over four different tools the snap on was the one that came through for me in the end.. I dont have the part number though.. you may try to hit up bill williams.

-Zac

Zac Cardinal

1972 2002tii's Blog

1976 2002 "Margie"s blog

IMG_2146copy.jpg

• 1 year later...

I, too, had an initial problem removing the pilot bearing from the '71 replacement engine. I used the wet toilet paper method and it gradually popped right out (about 15 wet sheets of Charmen).

Cheers!

Savvy

'65 BMW 1600 4dr-not quite road worthy, but closer

'34 Ford Fordor Deluxe Sedan-currently being rehabbed

'03 Acura TL

'92 Toyota Land Cruiser

• 2 years later...

Bringing this back.. I've got a needle type bearing that has somehow fallen back towards the crank (It was like this when I pulled the transmission!!). I'll upload a picture if need be to help get some ideas. I'm about to try the toilet paper method as I feel that will be easier for my situation. I've tried a pilot bearing puller, it fit in, but it just can't get a good enough grip and falls out. I'm worried that how the pilot bearing fell it will impede the toilet paper method :/

EDIT:

Okay toilet paper is a no go. It just isn't going to happen that way. I think the needles and bearing that fell back are creating air pockets. I don't see a way to get the part that fell in, back out. I'm about to try to push the whole thing in and just drop a new one in there are let the old one rattle around in the crank.... 

Edited by bazju

Chew on a piece of soft bread, shove it in the hole. Using a wooden dowel or bolt of the same inside diameter of the bearing pack the soft wet bread into the hole and keep tapping. Works with ease. You may have to pack in a lot more then you're expecting, but it works much better then the grease method. The grease method doesn't work well because the grease is able to escape between the balls. 

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

The toilet paper was a messy failure. I'll try the bread as I really would like to not take extreme measures. If that doesn't work though I'm drilling it out. 

EDIT: Well this blows. Now I have a socket screwdriver stuck in my pilot bearing and still not budging. At this rate I can't even drill it out. I'm about to just pull this engine as I'm sick of sitting under the car.

Edited by bazju

I have a busted needle bearing, bread, toilet paper and a 11mm socket screwdriver stuck in my crankshaft now. I'm thoroughly defeated. Engine comes out tomorrow. I'm going to try and get the screw driver out. If not I'm cutting it, then drilling out the bearing. 

I ordered a bunch of gaskets and a water pump so I'll make the most of having the engine out. 

Anyone know if that is an adapter in the crankshaft to make the OD diameter fit the needle bearing? Or is the crankshaft different for the needle bearing type? I have a sealed bearing I'd like to use but can't really tell if the crankshaft is just smaller,  or if there is an adapter.

I too have the needle bearing. After reading all the same posts you have, I decided to leave the old one in place when swapping the 5 speed. It wasn't making any noise and appeared to be in good shape. I threw some grease on it and let it be. Knock on wood......

Sorry you're having a Shitty time with it.

Ryan

'75 Pastellblau "ol blue"

When I pulled the needle pilot bearing out of my car, I rented a slide hammer from Autozone. It came with a puller attachment that I had to grind a little off one of the legs so it would fit in the hole. Using only one leg, I was able to hook the back edge of the bearing. With a number of hard whacks with the slide hammer I was able to get the bearing out in pieces. It wasn't easy but it worked. Maybe if you can get the socket screwdriver out, you can use this method. BTW, I did this from under the car with the engine still in.