• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starter replacement - must I remove intake manifold?

radiopaulie

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure and I don't have it with me. I'll post pics later. I suppose it's one of the larger ones, as I can't really imagine it being any bigger or heavier!

The question is knowing if it goes down from the top, or installs from the front.

Thanks very much as always for your help! - Paul

Keep the battery disconnected, as directed. The cable going to the starter will weld stuff if it touches anything.

The dipstick tube is held on by two hose clamps and a small hose. One clamp connects a the hose to a boss on the block and the other clamp holds the hose to the dipstick tube.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

...yeah, what they said...remove water bottle if on top of brake master cylinder, remove air cleaner housing. Remove dipstick tube and dipstick. Even remove air cleaner bracket if you have round style air cleaner. If smog hoses in way mark them and tie out of the way with tape. And you really should put rags or paper over the open carb barrels and dipstick hole incase you drop mounting hardware......you may have to remove the water inlet(outlet) hose near the top of the bell housing to get a wrench over the bolt that holds the starter on. Clean bolts when out and probably should put medium strength locktite on when reassemble. You don't want your starter bolt vibrating off! It's a do-able project if you remove the stuff in the way first.

OK, this is what I'm seeing from the front of the car. Took the dipstick off, and that helped somewhat. Still too tight a fit. Is that the motor mount that is at the bottom of the picture? Is it possible the starter is too large?

A little frustrating, but good to be getting somewhere.

Also, the dipstick tube was held by a plate with four bolts. Does this indicate a particular block?

Thanks again! - Paul

post-16182-1366760250281_thumb.jpg

that looks like the motor mount at the bottom. yes. the older starters were much larger than the BOSCH you're putting in. Doesn't really matter since they both fit. Just more power in smaller device. And the extra room makes better working in that part of the engine. I don't think you need to remove the motor mount, just clean it with a solvent rag from the oil and make sure it's tighten. Look for cracks in the rubber etc. The improvement in the starter is really worth it. Good Luck.

Don't know regarding the four bolt pattern on the dipstick mount. I think every one I've seen pictures of in the parts books has that mounting plate with that pattern on it. Maybe someone else knows.

• Like 1