• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

165R13 or 185/70R13 on stock wheels anyone?

golf73

RayTii and I both heard that Yokohama was discontinuing the 13" tires and our local tire guy got us some of the last ones that he said were available last November. Ray bought the AVID T4 and I bought the AVID Touring in 185/70-13. The Touring has a more classic tread design than the T4, and yes, they fit on the 4 1/2 inch wide wheels on my `69. Good luck.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

The Vredstein classics are $76ea + $25 for a tube at Coker Tire. Not too bad compared to the Michelins.

those are the vredstein sprint+, not the sprint classics. can't decide if i like the sidewalls on those, the classics look better. wish i could see them in person first. yep, i'm particular! and i just realized they don't even make the sprint classics in 13", so f- those.

also, are you sure they need a tube? universal tire says they are tubeless

http://www.universaltire.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=25053&category_id=340

i might find something on that tire site link you posted. saw some firestones that look good but i don't know about the thin white walls - were they ever an option in '73? i could always mount them w/the whitewall on the inside...

I can't say for sure on the tube, just going by Coker's site which says the tube is required. They also said the Michelins XAS require a tube. I hope universal is right, less cost that way. Could be an error on thier site so I'd of course call first. I'm glad you brought that up.

Jeff
1975 Alfa Romeo GT1300Junior w/1600 transplant (I'm still stuck on 1600's LOL)
2006 M3 White/Red - Orig Owner,6spd,ZCP, sunroof delete
SOLD 1967 1600 #1517644 "Florida"/Brown w/sunroof, SOLD 1968 1600 #1564660, RIP 1970 1600

I can't say for sure on the tube, just going by Coker's site which says the tube is required. They also said the Michelins XAS require a tube. I hope universal is right, less cost that way. Could be an error on thier site so I'd of course call first. I'm glad you brought that up.

XAS use a tube for sure. They are now produced in the FF performance compound and they are not sealed so without a tube, air would seep out over time.

Dirk

BMW Classic Car Club of America - www.bmwccca.com

'73 2002 tii - '72 2002 (targa) Cabriolet - '71 2002 (voll) Cabriolet - '71 2002 Rally - '71 2002 Alpina A2 - '70 2002 ti - '68 1600 GT - '65 1800 TI

I'm running the Kuhmo Solus KR21's (185/70R13) on mine -- handle the wet fine and have decent/good ride quality. I have no complaints from these tires and at $50 a pop from Tire Rack they are good value. Yes they have ugly writing on them, but that only matters if you slather 'em with tire protectant instead of applying liberal amounts with a sponge (thus creating a more subtle but clean look). Just my .02 worth. good luck.

Cheers,

Bill

Check my 175/70/13 Dunlops out, got all 4 of them from Sams Club mounted, balanced lifetime with flat repair, $130.00. Thinking about doing a small redline around them.

post-1419-13667601784807_thumb.jpg

Joser

73 Inka - Sold it

1991 Porsche C2 - Modified

2005 Gas Guzzling Yukon

When I picked up the Fjord Touring on Wednesday, I was anxious to see what tires were on it .... Michelin X Metric All Seasons, 165 R 13's, 400AB, car drives really nice with them and way different from any 02 I have ever driven, which always had much wider 14 or 15 inch wheels on it. Not "toss-able" in the way I was used to but certainly a very high smile-age rating in my book! Nice enough in fact I am now debating whether I will put the Mahle 14x6 rims I'd already picked up for it on. Sorry though, they do not look like 60's sidewalls or tread at all, thank goodness if they had old tech tread it'd be noisier and likely far less predictable.

------------------------

why list 'em...they're all projects anyways!

Guest Anonymous
RayTii and I both heard that Yokohama was discontinuing the 13" tires and our local tire guy got us some of the last ones that he said were available last November. Ray bought the AVID T4 and I bought the AVID Touring in 185/70-13. The Touring has a more classic tread design than the T4, and yes, they fit on the 4 1/2 inch wide wheels on my `69. Good luck.

Mine are way cooler than Chris'! neener neener neener!

I am in the same boat as you looking for a good replacement tire for 13' alloy. Curious about 175/70R13 tire? Seems to be some good choices(Tire rack -Michelin Harmony) in that size and the diameter is less 22.6" vs 22.7" stock where as the 185/70 R13s are 23.2"? Any advice/experiences on performance between the 175 and 185 would be great.

Thanks

73 Turkis-"Heidi" Sold