• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stuck crank pulley nut

impactomatic.. actually by heating it you probably didnt help yourself any.try heating it and using a canning wax or ice block to re cool the head of the bolt and the bolt hopefully the heat will penitrate through the bolt into the crank and actually heat the crank by cooling the expanded bolt you be able to revove it but you will need to work fast

just put a big breaker bar on it, and wedge it securely between the frame rail and the battery tray. I put a brick or 2x4 or something underneath the breaker bar to help hold it solid against the battery tray. Then a quick flip of the key and the starter takes care of it.... i'd make sure nobody is lookin under the hood when you do it though....

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Yeah, I actually tried the starter trick too by putting the end of the breaker bar through the towing eye AND using a puller to hold the socket nice and tightly against the nut. Hit the starter three times and nothing happened. I figured I was able to get more torque on it with a piece of pipe on the end of the breaker bar than the old starter motor could muster, and I was able to get enough torque make the clutch slip, so I'm hesitant about trying the starter trick again; don't want to burn out my starter either. You think I'd be able to cut the nut off with a dremel or something without doing too much damage to the threads?

-Carl

You can rent an impact wrench and a compressor. That's cheaper than wasting a day. The radiator obviously will have to come out. Be sure you use a 6 point socket, so you don't strip the corners off the nut.

Good luck.

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.