• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rant: other BMW drivers

ColinK

Actually, I would take it one step further. I would say most people on the road anymore are 'vehicle operators'... calling them drivers is giving them a bit to much credit.

As far as newer BMW owners, it's been my experience that from late model six cylinder E30s on a majority bought their cars because they are 'B-M-Ws', not because they liked the car itself. While car enthusiast do drive newer BMWs also, they seem much more attracted to older cars.

73 Sahara

76 S52 swap of dooooooooom

01 540i-6

90 Range Rover classic (because 02s just weren't masochistic enough)

Last spring, I took Celeste out for some exercise along I-66 then the I-495 Beltway home when a black E46 330ci came up on me. We both merged onto the outer loop of the Beltway together then accelerated (I won't reveal here). I backed off due to traffic and he gave me the "thumbs-up" when he passed. And that's before I re-did the top end of the engine.

Out of all the cars I could hope to own, the BMW brand is the best to own and drive.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Randy,

Thanks buddy, I was starting to get concerned...will you be attending V@V?

Earl

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

Well, on a similar note, but hard to be upset about, in the 7 of 12 months I get to drive my 02, almost every time, I have someone tailgate me, trying to get a good look at everything. They don't realize they're doing it. I often pull-over so they'll go past me. Mostly it's young kids who haven't seen many.

And the most sparse area getting the flashing lights, was in the boonies, near Steve Buswell's (NH). An E30 flashing to no-end from a good distance. Gave me a great laugh.

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

Seems like today that the drivers of the newer models just to want to make sure that you know their car is faster, can handle better (in the right hands) is more expensive, has a better audio system etc.

I see these guys all the time around here in e36/46 blah blah blah, the only thing they can beat me at is they spent more money. :-)

Charlie Mac in Sacramento.

My Blog

I'm an كافر

Hi All,

The truth is, very few people know what the 2002 is, even BMW sales people.

I was out riding around on a local interstate the other day and I rolled up on a 73 911, as I passed him slowly I gave him a thumbs up, he then passed me and was clapping, we went on like this for a few miles checking out each other cars. I'm sure there were a few people behind us were mad because they wanted to get around us.

I stopped by the local BMW dealership to get a brochure for the 1 series, the sales man handed me the brochure and asked me what I was driving, I proudly said a 2002 tii. He then asked, is that a Subaru? I was shocked to say the least then I opened the brochure and said "no, one of these".

Have a good one!

Arden

http://ardens-2002tii.blogspot.com/

71 2002, tii, Schwarz

72 2002 tii, Polaris

76 Trans Am, Sterling Silver

96 Volvo 850, Daily Beater

Parts Cars: 73 2002 Malaga, 74 2002 tii Granatrot & 76 2002 Verona

• 2 weeks later...

On Saturday I noticed a new Bimmer coming up fast behind me in trraffic, when the guy got along side me he slowed down to check out my car. At a stop light a few minutes later he pulled up along side me and asked me what year my tii was, I told him 72 and he went kinda crazy saying it looked great and what a wonderful car I had. I was a bit shocked because he was driving a new M5! I complemented his car, I should have asked him if he wanted to trade!

Don't loose hope, there are a few people out there who appreciate the cars we love to keep alive.

Jim, please send me an email: arden1234 at yahoo dot com

Have a good one!

Arden

http://ardens-2002tii.blogspot.com/

71 2002, tii, Schwarz

72 2002 tii, Polaris

76 Trans Am, Sterling Silver

96 Volvo 850, Daily Beater

Parts Cars: 73 2002 Malaga, 74 2002 tii Granatrot & 76 2002 Verona

Its all comes down to the difference of driving the car because you love it... or driving it because you want others to notice you. Unfortunately alot of the newer BMW drivers only use the car as a status symbol, thus they could give a $hit about anything classic/vintage/rare or anything. Hell an Alpina set up could pass them by and they would be checking out the ricer and never see the Alpina... With that said last time I was on I91 in Hartford (the local BMW shop is right there) someone was test driving a 1 series and both the sales man and the driver gave me a thumbs up with huge smiles, When that happens it makes your day!

I have driven jeeps for years they are a tight crowd always wave when you see another, but with the introduction of the new Wrangler the chance of being waved back has shrunk to 1 in 6 wave back to you. Yes I have been counting oh well, what can you do. Its like the Harley rider who snubs the BMW rider. I still wave and give a flash of light if they dont want to eeeffff em. I know Ive got class.

Modern cars... They all look like electric shavers.