• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil pressure sensor & gas tank

752dbl02

I see a fuel tank for sale about once a month on ebay.

Also there is Bavarian Auto Recyclers in No. Cal. They usually have decent prices.

Finally, there are probably a couple of people here that have a spare laying around when they upgraded to FI and just got a Tii tank.

Hope that helps.

ps. Just noticed you are in Georgia. I'd suggest contacting a local salvage yard that specializes in BMW. Not sure if there is such a thing near you.

74 2002 Restore/Upgrade Project - M2

08 Alpina B7

1. If the light comes on only at idle and goes out when you rev the engine, it's probably that your idle oil pressure is below 1 bar (14.7 psi) which is where the sensor is set. If it stays on all the time there's either a problem with the wiring (more likely) or you have no oil pressure--in which case your engine isn't long for this world. If you installed the sender with Teflon tape or thread sealer, take that stuff off; the sender grounds thru the threads.

2. Gas tank: a good radiator shop can repair the hole if it's (1) small and (2) isn't symptomatic of more rust. A good shop will empty the tank of gasoline and fill it with an inert gas, like exhaust fumes, not water, before repairing it. I had a piece of road debris puncture an otherwise good tank; my radiator shop repaired it by soldering a penny over the hole. That was in 1979; it's still holding. If the tank is rusting at the seam where the two halves are welded together, you'll probably have to replace it.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

There is one junkyard that specializes in bmws, and i will call up there to see what they have in the way of a used replacement tanks.

I was hoping that a radiator shop would be able to boil the thing, and fix all of the holes. The tank has sprung leaks in two places before and i have had to patch it with gas tank sealer, which has held very well, but i was wanting to fix the tank correctly and hopefully for the last time for a while. Anyways, when i fixed one of the pin holes up in the crevice where the tank sits on the frame rail of the car, i roughed up that area with some sand paper before i put the sealer on, and when i did this i noticed that there were several small rust 'divots', if you will, in the side wall of the tank. Is this kind of thing repairable?

I don't want to sound cheap, but the last time i tried purchasing a replacement tank from 2002ad, i didnt get my tank for four months and when i did receive it, it was the wrong one. The story goes south from there, ending with 2002ad having $500 of my money and me having the same leaky ass tank.

As for the oil pressure light, It has a faint glow all the time, and is bright when you first start the car, but fades to its normal faint glow after a second.

Would my old engine just not have excellent oil pressure, and that is what is causing the light to stay on?

'75 2002

Photobucket

Gas tank:

Although it cost $100, my tank was dipped, cleaned, the seams soldered, and coated on the inside with something similar to POR, and works like a new one. I'm sure a radiator shop can do the same for you.

I had the same rust issues at the seams.

j9273c.jpg
'71 Agave, '71 Verona, '74 Inka, '73 Chamonix

"FAQ Member Number 60"

glow?

That ain't right.

The alt light can do that (red) but the oil (orange) shouldn't.

Pull the wire entirely- if the light's still glowing, you have a wiring problem.

If it goes out, the switch is... goofy.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL