• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clunking noise from the rear when coasting...

thequietracer

When I coast at low speed or slightly higher gear I hear clunking noise , jerky from rear underneath the car, what is it? Although, when clutch is depressed the noise appeared to be gone.

My mechanic says, it is normal as all 2002 makes this type of noise. Honestly, it is quite annoying.

74' 02 Resto-Mod

87' 325IS

03' Cooper S

damm hard to tell from here without a UTUBE segment ?

CV joints binding up?

stub axle bearings failing?

stub axle nuts working loose? - bearings failing? - wheel

coming loose?

drive shaft u-joints binding up?

center drive shaft bearing and rubber mount failing?

front drive shaft Guibo failing?

any oil in the rear diff ?

any oil in the gearbox?

does the noise change in pitch or volume as you turn left or right?

Hot? cold? noise all the time? or only after driving 1/2 hour or more?

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

check out the big cylinder shaped rubber mounts on each side of the rear subframe and see if the rubber is all rotted out and wiggly. they're just in front of each rear wheel, and have a little diagonal brace attached to them. the test to see if those are bad is usually to engine brake and see if the car jerks side to side in any way. it should go straight if those mounts are fine.

Also, take a look at the two rubber mounts above the differential. they're also hollow rubber mounts that could be distorted and/or broken.

and of course, check the fluid in the differential and make sure you're not hearing gear clashes from them being dry....

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Check the four bolts/nuts that hold the differential in place. Also check the bolts/nuts that hold the half shafts to the differential flange.

Tell your mechanic he can take a ride in any of our 2002s and he will not hear that noise, it is NOT normal.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

When I coast at low speed or slightly higher gear I hear clunking noise , jerky from rear underneath the car, what is it? Although, when clutch is depressed the noise appeared to be gone.

My mechanic says, it is normal as all 2002 makes this type of noise. Honestly, it is quite annoying.

You may consider finding a new mechanic, one who actually knows something about the car. If he told you that was normal for the car, and is doing work on your car, I'd be skeptical of his work done. He obviously knows very little about this model, or just has no interest.

If you mention your location, I'm sure someone can point you to a reputable shop, unless you are able to do the repairs your self. I didn't see you volunteer that info. (??)

Scott

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

To add to other good posts-

center driveshaft nut loose.

To reiterate- stub axles/ hubs, loose driveshaft bolts,

dead diff mounts (behind diff)

you exhaust hitting something (no, really!)

or a dying CV or u joint.

hth,

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL