• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

15" wheels: 195/50 or 195/55?

jrhone

Going to be going with BBS style 15" rims and I wanna still retain some decent ride quality. I plan on lowering it as well as sway bars. So is there any downside to using 195/55/15 tires? Actually there seem to be more 195/55 choices on tire racks website. Anyone done it? Ideas? Thoughts? Thanks!

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

Hello,

I'm running 195/55-15 Sumitomo HTR+ on my 74tii. It is not lowered other than removing the OEM spacers to bring it to the Euro height. For wheels I am running the Rota RB wheels purchased thru CJ on this site (highly recommended). I think the offset is 25. They are purfect with no rubbing with the very rare exception of going up a driveway too fast while turning the wheels. The 55 tires also look correct in the wheel well (not too small). Ride quality is OK too.

Good luck!

Patman

74 2002tii known as "The Pickle"

Based on my personal experience, I would strongly urge you to get the 50's, NOT the 55's. I ran the latter on my car for a while but they were just too big and rubbed too much on the inner fender well under even remotely agressive cornering. Note that I run a fairly low ride height, I'd guestimate 1.5" or so lower than stock.

Wheels_01.JPG

195/50/15's Kuhmo Ecsta. Car also hasn't settled, I imagine it will be about 1" lower or so once it does.

Bilstein Sports, Jamex springs, 23 sway in front, 19 in rear. I think a 55 series would be too tall for me.

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog