• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help. Need to rebuild calipers.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a 73 and the calipers are seized. Is it cheaper to rebuild or buy rebuilt ones. I have never rebuilt calipers. Is it an easy job? Where can I get parts for this? I also need rear cylinders.

It's not particularly easy, especially the first time (heh).

But once you figure it out, it's just kind of time consuming.

Getting the pistons out intact is usually the hard part-

if compressed air won't do it, (or won't get all of them)

then you often end up destroying the pistons.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

David G.
1989 Volvo 240 Wagon "Da Brick" Daily driver
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R "Hitomi" Sleeping. Waiting for NEO VVL!!
1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" The never ending project!!!

i've done it before

if you search for threads under my name i just asked this question about 3 days ago. one of the posts in the thread links to info on how to do it. there really isn't much too it if you don't separate the caliper, other as toby mentions getting the pistons to come out. if they're frozen, then you'll know you need rebuilt.

72 2002tii

1988 535is 

I rebuilt ne of my calipers. There was a lot of gunk around the lip of the piston bore that was a pain to get cleaned off, but it was making my piston stick which is why I got in there in the first place. The whole process is not that difficult. I found some inexpensive rebuild kits at some place in Arizona - can't recall the name but you might be able to find them on Google.

Once I got everything back in place I was putting in new bleeder screws and found the hole in the caliper was stripped :( Not worth trying to repair IMO, so I went searching for full rebuilt calipers online. Most of the vendors will have them, but I actually found the best price through Kragen.

Brian

'72 2002

'91 325i